All grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
Do all grains take longer to complete the fermenting and clearing process then extract and partial grain? I am going to two weeks now in the fermenter and there is still a thick layer of krausen floating on top. That stuff is usually sunk to the bottom in the first week.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

the only difference in all grain and extract brewing is how you get your sugars, from an extract or from the grains direct

besides that, there is no difference, so the fermentation should take the exact same amount of time.

there is some other reason you are having trouble

Shouldn't make a difference on fermentation time.

All of my AG brews (having an OG within reason) finish in under 2 weeks even at the low end of the temperature spectrum.

That could be it temperature. It's been pretty chilly lately

I recommend placing your bucket or carboy in a plastic tub of water to regulate temp. This will prevent sudden changes of temerature which will help ferment evenly. The yeast does not only eat sugars and poop and Piss alcohol and co2 it also removes off flavors like artificial butter diacetyl. All yeast react different so get appropriate yeast for application.

joselima

Do all grains take longer to complete the fermenting and clearing process then extract and partial grain? I am going to two weeks now in the fermenter and there is still a thick layer of krausen floating on top. That stuff is usually sunk to the bottom in the first week.

Some yeast strains do leave a thick krausen floating on top. I brewed a hefeweisen not too long ago using White labs 300. It had krausen flowing out of the blow off tube for 2 days. When fermentation was done, it did not settle all of the way back into the beer either.
When it comes time to syphon the beer out of the carboy, you will notice the krausen clings to the sides as the level goes down, and the top will be clear when the carboy is about 1/2 empty.

In short, no. It is pretty much the same wort regardless and the yeast will do its job. You have to remember though that since yeast is a living being it is fickle and will work on its own schedule and not yours. The floaties and yeast rafts and even leftover krausen don't necessarily mean fermentation is still going on. Check gravities and do the same gravity over 3 days test to see if it is done (so long as your beer has been in warm enougn fermenting temps).

Have you checked the gravity with a hydrometer? That's the best way to know if fermentation is done. I've run into that a few times but taking gravity readings over a few days will show if fermentation is complete.

Latest posts

Back