All-Grain Tips for the Aspiring All-Grain Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlyAmateurZymurgist

Reaction score
I brewed my first all-grain batch of beer over twenty years ago. Something that I learned fairly quickly was that mash and lauter tun design made a huge difference in the outcome of a mash. For those who have yet to make an investment in all-grain gear, I recommend single-infusion mashing with a cooler-based combined mash/lauter tun with a proper false bottom, as it simplifies the process.

With that said, cooler geometry makes a difference. Professional brew house mash tuns are round for a reason; namely, it promotes equal hydrostatic pressure across the grain bed. Back in the Gott days, there wasn't a huge difference between Rubbermaid and Igloo coolers, as both manufacturers built their coolers to industrial standards. However, Rubbermaid appears to have progressively cheapened the build quality of their beverage coolers over the last twenty years to in order to meet big-box store price points. Igloo has also done the same with their big-box store coolers. However, Igloo's industrial yellow and red coolers are a different story. The industrial coolers handle boiling water much better than the big-box coolers. They also hold temperature better than the big box coolers. They will hold a mash to within a degree or two of the strike temperature for an hour or more. Zoro Tools (the retail arm of Grainger) is one of the best places that I have found to order yellow industrial Igloo coolers. They offer free shipping on orders above $50.00 and one can usually find a coupon that will cover the cost of shipping for orders under $50.00.

False bottom design makes a huge difference in extract efficiency and quality. A lot of people will attempt to convince you to build a slotted manifold or a tubular mesh based mash strainer. Ignore these brewers. A quick examination of any professional craft brewery will reveal that their lauter tuns have proper false bottoms. A properly designed false bottom makes lautering a joy. In my humble opinion, the nicest off-the-shelf false bottom that is currently available for beverage coolers is the 16% open space slotted stainless steel false bottom that Adventures in Homebrewing sells. It's a work of art. This false bottom can be setup for soft-plumbed (silicone tubing connected) configuration between the false bottom and the ball valve by using a hose barb on the inside of the ball valve assembly and ordering a stainless 1/2” MPT to 3/8” hose barb ninety degree elbow fitting (item number 73-4109) and two stainless locks nuts with the false bottom.

Finally, let's get to one of the most highly contentious subjects within the amateur brewing community; namely, sparging. Truth be told, I am not a fan of multiple lautering (a.k.a. "batch sparging"), as it tends to produce much dirtier "runnings" than traditional continuous sparging (a.k.a. "fly sparging"). Cleaner runoff means cleaner, smoother tasting beer that needs less aging to reach maturity. Continuous sparging will also produce more extract than multiple lautering for any given crush. The rollers on my non-adjustable Schmidling Malt Mill have a 0.045" gap, which is considered to be too wide on this forum. However, my average combined grist extraction rate with domestic malt is 30 points per pound per gallon with domestic malt and 32 points per pound per gallon with imported malt. If we treat all of the malt in my grists as base malt, then my extraction efficiencies are:

30 / 36 x 100 = 83.3%
32 / 36 x 100 = 88.9%

Now, if we were to take into account that 10-20% of my grists are usually specialty malts, then my weighted extraction efficiencies are actually higher than the values shown above. These efficiencies are difficult to duplicate using other sparging methods with malt that has been milled to the same level of granularity.

I tend to prefer to use points per pound per gallon extraction rates instead of weighted mash efficiencies because they allow me to establish brew house metrics that can be used to formulate recipes without having to resort to using software. I do not dislike computers or computer software. I hold undergraduate and advanced degrees in computer science and have worked as a computer scientist and engineer for over thirty years. However, I do not want to have to interface with a whirling deterministic finite automaton on brew day. I want to be able to rectify brew house problems on the fly in my head; therefore, I work with points per pound per gallon.

Here's a strategy for incorporating points per pound per gallon into one's brew house:

First, one needs to calculate the points per pound per gallon extraction rates for one’s brew house.

points_per_pound_per_gallon = (batch_original_gravity - 1.0) x 1,000 x batch_volume_in_gallons / batch_grist_mass_in_pounds

In practice, the (batch_original_gravity - 1.0) x 1,000 portion of the equation can be simplified by taking the original gravity reading lopping off the "1" and converting the number to the right of the decimal point to a whole number (e.g., 1.056 becomes 56), as that's all this part of the equation accomplishes.

Using a 5.5-gallon batch of 1.056 wort that was made with 11 pounds of grist to put the equation into practice yields:

batch_original_gravity = 1.056
batch_volume_in_gallons = 5.5
batch_grist_mass_in_pounds = 11

points_per_pound_per_gallon = (1.056 - 1.0) x 1,000 x 5.5 / 11 = 28

Now, if we perform this calculation for several batches, sum the points per pound per gallon values, and divide by the number of batches that were summed, we will arrive at our average brew house extraction rate in points per pound per gallon.

Example

Batch #1 = 26.5 points per pound per gallon
Batch #2 = 27 points per pound per gallon
Batch #3 = 30.5 points per pound per gallon
Batch #4 = 28 points per pound per gallon
Batch #5 = 29 points per pound per gallon

average_points_per_pound_per_gallon = 26.5 + 27 + 30.5 + 28 + 29 / 5 = 28.2

With experience, the variance in the points per pound per gallon values (the difference values) from batch to batch will narrow, and one will have a solid metric with which to use in recipe formulation.

Now that we have found our average brew house extraction rate, let's put it into practice using a hypothetical 11-gallon recipe that we would like to adjust for our 5.5 gallon brew house.

Simple Pale Ale

batch_original_gravity = 1.064
batch_volume_in_gallons = 11
batch_mass_in_pounds = 23

Grist Composition

British Pale Malt: 20.75 pounds
60L Crystal Malt: 2.25 pounds

Calculating the recipe points per pound per gallon extraction rate yields :

recipe_points_per_pound_per_gallon = (1.064 - 1.0) x 1,000 x 11 / 23 = 30.6

If we compare the recipe’s extraction rate to ours, we will clearly see that we cannot just cut the recipe in half; therefore, we need to scale the grist to fit our brew house extraction rate. We can handle scaling two different ways. The easiest and most logical way is to calculate the amount of grist that that we will need to hit the recipe’s O.G. in our brew house, and then divide this mass into malt percentages that are proportional to those found in the original recipes.

Calculating how many pounds of grist that we need to hit 1.064 yields:

batch_mass_in_pounds = (batch_original_gravity - 1.0) x 1,000 x batch_volume_in_gallons / average_points_per_pound_per_gallon

batch_grist_mass_in_pounds = (1.064 - 1.0) x 1,000 x 5.5 / 28.2 ~= 12.5lbs

With that calculation complete, we need to calculate grist percentages from the original recipe.

recipe_total_grist_mass = 23lbs

recipe_british_pale_ale_percentage = 20.75 / 23 x 100 ~= 90%
recipe_60L_crystal_percentage = 2.25 / 23 x 100 ~= 10%

With these numbers, we can now formulate our grist.

Our Simple Pale Ale

batch_grist_mass_in_pounds = 12.5

British Pale Malt: 12.5 x 0.9 = 11.25lbs (11.25 is 90% of 12.5)
60L Crystal Malt: 12.5 x 0.1 = 1.25lbs (1.25 is 10% of 12.5)

The second way to adjust a recipe based on one’s brew house extraction rate is to calculate a grist scaling factor that takes into account the differences in brew house extraction rates and a batch volume divisor that takes into account the differences in batch volumes.

grist_scaling_factor = recipe_extraction_rate / our_average_extraction_rate

grist_scaling_factor = 30.6 / 28.2 ~= 1.085

batch_volume_divisor = recipe_batch_volume / our_batch_volume

batch_volume_divisor = 11 / 5.5 = 2

brew_house_extraction_rate_adjusted_malt_mass = malt_mass x grist_scaling_factor / batch_volume_divisor

Our Simple Pale Ale

batch_grist_mass_in_pounds = 23 x 1.085 / 2 ~= 12.5

British Pale Malt: 20.75 x 1.085 x 0.5 ~= 11.25
60L Crystal Malt: 2.25 x 1.085 x 0.5 ~= 1.25

(note: the symbol “~=” denotes approximately equal to)

In closing, I know that much of what I have posted probably flew over the heads of many forum readers. However, most people can master this information with a little practice.

Although very detailed and clearly research has gone into your post, I personally feel that a lot of homebrewers May think of it somewhat too pointless to go to these lengths to get into the high 80s for efficiency.
no doubt it has worked for you and maybe you should be a professional brewer?, but I hear of many people achieving high 80s with easy to find and most importantly cheap equipment.
Personally, I want to make good beer that won't cost me an arm and a leg to produce and that means batch sparging with an ss braid and usually I get between 75-80% now.
IIRC I heard to efficiency into the 90s was not always good and could be detrimental to the final product.
Your methods may Work for you, others maybe not, the main thing is, on a homebrewers scale, we make beer that we and others really enjoy.
I believe to a point that there is no right way or wrong way, but you telling people not to listen to batch spargers or those who use braids I feel is a little over the top, but of course that's just my opinion.

Cheers

MattGuk said:
Although very detailed and clearly research has gone into your post, I personally feel that a lot of homebrewers May think of it somewhat too pointless to go to these lengths to get into the high 80s for efficiency. no doubt it has worked for you and maybe you should be a professional brewer?, but I hear of many people achieving high 80s with easy to find and most importantly cheap equipment. Personally, I want to make good beer that won't cost me an arm and a leg to produce and that means batch sparging with an ss braid and usually I get between 75-80% now. IIRC I heard to efficiency into the 90s was not always good and could be detrimental to the final product. Your methods may Work for you, others maybe not, the main thing is, on a homebrewers scale, we make beer that we and others really enjoy. I believe to a point that there is no right way or wrong way, but you telling people not to listen to batch spargers or those who use braids I feel is a little over the top, but of course that's just my opinion. Cheers

Ditto. I designed my all grain system in all but 15 minutes and run 80% efficiency. I batch sparge as well and have no desire to fly sparge since I get good results doing what I'm doing. My system didn't cost much either.

I've got a 48-qt rectangular cooler with copper manifold that I use as my mash tun and I hit my numbers within a point or two each time. Could I possibly get slightly higher efficiency using other methods? Probably, but I'm happy with the beers I;m brewing with this equipment.

Awesome post. I am also in the batch sparge camp, mainly due to the simplicity and time savings, and will most likely not go back to fly sparging. That said, I really appreciate you sharing the techniques and opinions that you have developed over many years of brewing. I will be making a new cooler MLT soon. I have used the cpvc manifold in my current system, and have been happy with it. I have been wondering about a round cooler with a true false bottom, but I am making 10+ gallon batches now though, and it seems like a rectangular cooler might be the way to go.

I really like your "points/pounds/gallon" technique to quickly determine grain weight for your system. I had not considered it quite this way. This makes translating recipes pretty simple once you dial in your own system.

Last paragraph is all you need to read. You will learn more by brewing some beer.

Although very detailed and clearly research has gone into your post, I personally feel that a lot of homebrewers May think of it somewhat too pointless to go to these lengths to get into the high 80s for efficiency.
no doubt it has worked for you and maybe you should be a professional brewer?, but I hear of many people achieving high 80s with easy to find and most importantly cheap equipment.

It's just not about achieving a high extraction rate. Runoff quality is also important. A continuously sparged mash bed tends to run crystal clear within a gallon of recirculation and runs clear through the entire sparge. The higher extraction rate per given grist granularity allows one to go with a coarser crush, which results better husk integrity. Better husk integrity translates to a better mash filter and fewer set mashes.

Personally, I want to make good beer that won't cost me an arm and a leg to produce and that means batch sparging with an ss braid and usually I get between 75-80% now.

Brewing is a hobby. All hobbies have associated costs. One can build the mash/lauter tun that I described for less than $100.00. That's not expensive in my book. It's a mash/lauter tun that one will not quickly outgrow.

IIRC I heard to efficiency into the 90s was not always good and could be detrimental to the final product.

It depends on how one achieves one's extraction rate. Any brewer can achieve a high extraction rate by milling his/her grain into powder and sparging the living daylights out of the mash bed. Most commercial breweries achieve 32+ points per pound per gallon extraction rates using properly designed lauter tuns and properly milled grain.

Your methods may Work for you, others maybe not, the main thing is, on a homebrewers scale, we make beer that we and others really enjoy.
I believe to a point that there is no right way or wrong way, but you telling people not to listen to batch spargers or those who use braids I feel is a little over the top, but of course that's just my opinion.

If I had a dollar for every batch sparger on this forum who told a new amateur brewer that he/she should forget about using a proper false bottom and continuous sparging because doing so was a waste of time and money, I would be able to build my dream brew house. Continuous sparging is not rocket science. It's a technique that just about anyone can master. Continuous sparging is also a technique that anyone with aspirations of working in a commercial craft brewery at some point in time must master.

Continuous sparging is also a technique that anyone with aspirations of working in a commercial craft brewery at some point in time must master.

There are a lot of principles in commercial brewing that don't always translate to the homebrew level. Anyway, I really don't think most people on here have any plans to brew commercially. Personally, I fly sparge on one system and batch sparge on the other and get indistinguishable results. Putting up a condescending essay of a post where you dismiss methods different from your own is not going to win folks over to your way of thinking in a forum like this.

I hit 90% once doing BIAB. Was actually only a few weeks ago. It was a strong pumpkin ale. I checked the gravity today and it is down from 1.100 to 1.016 using Nottingham dry yeast. A wicked brew that one will be. I'm giving it another week just in case it drops a few more points.

EDIT: I didn't sparge either.

Awesome post. I am also in the batch sparge camp, mainly due to the simplicity and time savings, and will most likely not go back to fly sparging. That said, I really appreciate you sharing the techniques and opinions that you have developed over many years of brewing. I will be making a new cooler MLT soon. I have used the cpvc manifold in my current system, and have been happy with it. I have been wondering about a round cooler with a true false bottom, but I am making 10+ gallon batches now though, and it seems like a rectangular cooler might be the way to go.

Large batch sizes pretty much rule out beverage cooler-based lauter tun designs. I have gone the other way with my brew house. I downsized my batch size to 3 gallons because I like to brew at least once a month, and I only drink three to four pints of beer a week (I give more beer away than I drink). I maintain a my own yeast bank on agar slants. If I brew every two to four weeks, I am able to perform bank maintenance while creating a first level starter.

I really like your "points/pounds/gallon" technique to quickly determine grain weight for your system. I had not considered it quite this way. This makes translating recipes pretty simple once you dial in your own system.

One can also develop a chart of average extraction rates for different grist combinations.

I hit 90% once doing BIAB. Was actually only a few weeks ago. It was a strong pumpkin ale. I checked the gravity today and it is down from 1.100 to 1.016 using Nottingham dry yeast. A wicked brew that one will be. I'm giving it another week just in case it drops a few more points.

EDIT: I didn't sparge either.

How fine was your crush? Did you squeeze the bag? How clear was your wort? One can get away with murder when one does not have do deal with the specter of a set mash.

chickypad said:
putting up a condescending essay of a post where you dismiss methods different from your own is not going to win folks over to your way of thinking in a forum like this.

+1

How fine was your crush? Did you squeeze the bag? How clear was your wort? One can get away with murder when one does not have do deal with the specter of a set mash.

lol, I did squeezed the bag. The wort was cloudy, but I have found that wirlfloc (spelling?) tablets fix all of that in the end product. The crush is using my new mill. It is a hand-crank outfit I modded to accept my cordless drill. I'm not sure the exact size, but all the internal bits are between 1-3mm in size.

One thing I have found since I started brewing is, there are many ways of achieving the SAME result ie good beer.
there are many different techniques for sparging, I have tried fly sparging and batch sparging, hell I'm even doing a full volume no sparge tonight.
I have found that for ME batch sparging is the method I prefer because of the simplicity and time saving.
I felt that fly sparging for ME didn't warrant the slight extra efficiency I got considering it took more time.
notice I put ME in block capitals, that's because they are my opinions and everybody's has a different one, but you made it sound very much like your method the be all and end all which won't make you many friends.
brewing is an adventure of trial and error and experimentation, which is all the fun and one of the fundamental reason that we do what we do.

Cheers

I don't know why people strive for high efficiency, we're talking about maybe the difference of a dollar for grain. I have my grain mill set to give me an constant 74% efficiency and that's all I care about it's consistent. I never have a stuck sparge and my beer is always crystal clear.

I totally agree with this, consistancy is key in this hobby.

Great post with a lot of info (most of which went over my head).

I think most brewers fall into 1 of 2 categories: The people that want to make good beer at a reasonable cost of money and time, and those that want to maximize the potential of the beer they brew.

Sure, I think most of us would love to have $5k to drop on a state of the art system, with a dedicated area to brew in, and have a neat, logical place to store everything, but for a lot of people, brewing is a trade off of cost, time, and space.

Again, great post and look forward to other posts like it.

My neighbor is an avid and highly talented homebrewer with a sophisticated, software controlled fly sparging system. He helped me get into all grain with his old equipment and I brew with a rudimentary batch sparge setup (HBK, MT + bucket). My usual efficiency is about 75% and his is 82%. However, his drops sharply if he doesn't stir like crazy (like when distracted or otherwise), so it's important to realize the high level of variance in simple techniques (like a good stir) as well as the more sophisticated ones.

Condescending much? The old fly vs. Batch debate is really getting tiresome. I use both methods and have more 40+ scoring beers using batch. There's some equally anecdotal nonsense for you.

BTW.. I make a lot more money selling false bottoms than bazooka tubes and I won't even postulate superiority of fly sparging.

Many points you brought up are valid for discussion but I can't thing of a worse approach for helping aspiring all grain brewers.

Finally, let's get to one of the most highly contentious subjects within the amateur brewing community; namely, sparging. Truth be told, I am not a fan of multiple lautering (a.k.a. "batch sparging"), as it tends to produce much dirtier "runnings" than traditional continuous sparging (a.k.a. "fly sparging"). Cleaner runoff means cleaner, smoother tasting beer that needs less aging to reach maturity. Continuous sparging will also produce more extract than multiple lautering for any given crush.

Errr...what? I've never heard of or observed "dirty" runnings from batch sparging. Batch sparging is pretty prevalent technique, and I've got numerous ribbons hanging on my wall - all from batch sparged beers. I suppose that fly sparging can give you better efficiency over batch sparging, but it hardly seems worthwhile to worry about at the homebrew level. I don't think telling new all-grain brewers to chase efficiency over focusing on techniques that actually improve the flavor of your beer such as real temperature control, yeast starters for liquid yeast, or pitching at fermentation temperatures is helpful. It sounds like you have a specific way of brewing that works for you, but the best part of this hobby is that you can make quality beer with a wide variety of techniques and setups.

I've never poured a beer while judging, and asked myself "Fly-Sparged or Batch Sparged?" because it ultimately doesn't matter.

Most people batch sparge for time saving and simplicity of it. I know I do. You only brew once a month so I'm figuring your brew day is an all day thing with no time constraints that you enjoy when that day comes. Me I brew once a week so batch sparging is faster for me. Makes great beer that I think is good and so do many others.

You only brew once a month so I'm figuring your brew day is an all day thing with no time constraints that you enjoy when that day comes.

I said that I brew every two to four weeks. I mostly brew 2.5 to 3 gallon batches every other week because that's all I can drink and give away (I give away more beer than I drink). The difference in time between multiple lautering and continuous sparging is around thirty minutes. There was a point in my life when I brewed an all-grain batch every week. Not only did I brew an all-grain batch every week, I plated, slanted, and propagated all of my own yeast, which was equally time consuming.

Brewing is a hobby, and if not treated that way, will become a relatively short-lived hobby. Most people reach a point in their lives where they have more money than free time. That's the point where one's all-grain brew house is put up for sale. I reached that point after ten years of brewing.

In closing, I know that much of what I have posted probably flew over the heads of many forum readers. However, most people can master this information with a little practice.

Well... someone has a mighty high opinion of himself, eh? I hope I can be as smart a brewer as you are someday!

In the meantime, I'll have to settle for my no-sparge, BIAB, 70-75% efficiency process that makes really good freakin' beer.

I can't thing of a worse approach for helping aspiring all grain brewers.

Do you seriously think that you are in a position to admonish me over the advice that I give? I cannot think of a worse way to help aspiring brewers than to teach them how to conduct a criminal act. Converting a keg on which a deposit has been made is misappropriation of property, which is a punishable crime. All kegs remain the property of the brewery or keg leasing company whose name is embossed or engraved on the keg throughout the three-tier network. I seriously doubt that you have a receipt from AB for the keg that you cut up in your video because AB does not sell used kegs or authorize third-parties to sell their kegs.

Your words on YouTube:

"Purely hypothetically of course, but say you asked the guy at the liquor store to call you when he gets an empty back. Then say you gave him the deposit money that he just paid back to the person. Then say he acts like THAT guy never brought it back at all. Just sayin."

Do you seriously think that you are in a position to admonish me over the advice that I give? I cannot think of a worse way to help aspiring brewers than to teach them how to conduct a criminal act. Converting a keg on which a deposit has been made is misappropriation of property, which is a punishable crime. All kegs remain the property of the brewery or keg leasing company whose name is embossed or engraved on the keg throughout the three-tier network. I seriously doubt that you have a receipt from AB for the keg that you cut up in your video because AB does not sell used kegs or authorize third-parties to sell their kegs.

Your words on YouTube:

"Purely hypothetically of course, but say you asked the guy at the liquor store to call you when he gets an empty back. Then say you gave him the deposit money that he just paid back to the person. Then say he acts like THAT guy never brought it back at all. Just sayin."

I think you are now just trying to pick at any little thing somebody says because you are angry over the responses you have had from rubbing people up the wwrong way.
I'm all for advice, BUT there is a line u crossed by bashing on batch spargers and ss braid users, when it's a proven method that is easily obtainable for many brewers.
I carried out a full volume mash last night that worked out very well, could have been better but the software I used grossly overestimated water volume so my efficiency was 68% but that's all the fun of this hobby.
I hope you can see why you have wound people up and would hope ONE may not make this mistake again.

Well... someone has a mighty high opinion of himself, eh? I hope I can be as smart a brewer as you are someday!

In the meantime, I'll have to settle for my no-sparge, BIAB, 70-75% efficiency process that makes really good freakin' beer.

That comment was made because of the math portion of the posting. I made it because I always receive comments like "That information flew over my head" or "I do not like math, so I will let software perform my calculations" when I post it. Many people who are not comfortable with mathematics assume that the equations that I outlined in the posting are difficult to use. However, using my system of equations only involves the ability to perform arithmetic.

That comment was made because of the math portion of the posting. I made it because I always receive comments like "That information flew over my head" or "I do not like math, so I will let software perform my calculations" when I post it. Many people who are not comfortable with mathematics assume that the equations that I outlined in the posting are difficult to use. However, using my system of equations only involves the ability to perform arithmetic.

Surely, though, you see how it makes you seem very condescending?

Do you seriously think that you are in a position to admonish me over the advice that I give?

Based on your highly condescending attitude, yes, I do think you open yourself up for admonishment.

If you're going to be very opinionated, rigid in your thinking, and convey an attitude of superiority, expect to get some push-back.

Surely, though, you see how it makes you seem very condescending?

I don't think he sees it. He sees a few responses to his math and assumes that his grasp of algebra is well beyond most other homebrewers. From his point of view, he's being perfectly reasonable. To others, he comes across as a popular Stone beer.

I think you are now just trying to pick at any little thing somebody says because you are angry over the responses you have had from rubbing people up the wwrong way.

I am not angry at all. I fully expected that I would take heat for parts of my posting. My point of contention with some of the replies is that they amount to little more than character assassination, and character assassination is a sign that one has lost the argument. As I stated earlier, anyone who disagrees with the information that I posted in this thread is free to spend over an hour composing his/her own all-grain tips thread.

With respect to Bobby_M, well, let's say that anyone who teaches brewers how to commit what is in most cases a criminal act has no right to admonish anyone for giving what he/she believes is questionable advice.

I'm all for advice, BUT there is a line u crossed by bashing on batch spargers and ss braid users, when it's a proven method that is easily obtainable for many brewers.
I carried out a full volume mash last night that worked out very well, could have been better but the software I used grossly overestimated water volume so my efficiency was 68% but that's all the fun of this hobby.
I hope you can see why you have wound people up and would hope ONE may not make this mistake again.

Here's what I wrote about slotted manifolds and tubular mesh screens.

"A lot of people will attempt to convince you to build a slotted manifold or a tubular mesh-based mash strainer. Ignore these brewers. A quick examination of any professional craft brewery will reveal that their lauter tuns have proper false bottoms."

I did not bash those who use slotted manifolds or tubular mesh-based strainers in the paragraph quoted above. I merely stated that new brewers should ignore attempts by others to convince them to build slotted manifolds or tubular mesh-based mash strainers. I also gave a very valid reason for doing so. While some amateur brewers stick with slotted manifolds and tubular mesh strainers, most American amateur brewers who stick with the hobby for more than a couple of years eventually end up using a proper false bottom. Choosing to use a proper false bottom right out of the gate saves money in the long term.

Here's what I wrote about sparging:

"Finally, let's get to one of the most highly contentious subjects within the amateur brewing community; namely, sparging. Truth be told, I am not a fan of multiple lautering (a.k.a. "batch sparging"), as it tends to produce much dirtier "runnings" than traditional continuous sparging (a.k.a. "fly sparging"). Cleaner runoff means cleaner, smoother tasting beer that needs less aging to reach maturity. Continuous sparging will also produce more extract than multiple lautering for any given crush. The rollers on my non-adjustable Schmidling Malt Mill have a 0.045" gap, which is considered to be too wide on this forum. However, my average combined grist extraction rate with domestic malt is 30 points per pound per gallon with domestic malt and 32 points per pound per gallon with imported malt. "

I did not bash batch spargers in the paragraph quoted above. I merely stated that I am not a fan of multiple lautering, and gave my reasons for not being a fan of the process. Anyone who considers my use of the term "multiple lautering" to be bashing has fairly thin skin. There's no such thing as "batch sparging" just as there is no such thing as "fly sparging." They are both made up terms for brewing processes that have been around for a very long time. Batch sparging is little more than a specialized application of parti-gyle brewing in which only one beer is made.

Troll!

Just sayin' :cross:

With the OP's attitude, this thread should be moved to the Debate Forum or closed. MHO

EarlyAmateurZymurgist said:
American amateur brewers who stick with the hobby for more than a couple of years eventually end up using a proper false bottom. Choosing to use a proper false bottom right out of the gate saves money in the long term.

That's a big assumption. Do you have data to back this up. I know a number of brewers who still use a SS braids and have been for over 5+ yrs. I don't have data to say ppl don't switch to false bottoms or not. Theirs a lot of brewers out their to just say most eventually switch.

That's a big assumption. Do you have data to back this up. I know a number of brewers who still use a SS braids and have been for over 5+ yrs. I don't have data to say ppl don't switch to false bottoms or not. Theirs a lot of brewers out their to just say most eventually switch.

Everyone that I know who is still brewing that started brewing when I started brewing has switched to using a false bottom. Even Bobby_M stated that he sells more false bottoms than bazooka screens. Granted, that statistic is probably more reflective of the fact that screens are easier to homebrew than false bottoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back