all grain substitute for dry amber malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSch

Reaction score
I would like to know what grains to use to replicate 5# dry amber malt extract. Thanks

I'm not aware that any dry malt producer provides the details.

This may be a good starting point: All Grain Recipe Equivalents to Common Extracts

Amber Malt Extract
85% 2 Row Malted Barley
10% Caramel 60 L
5% Munich 10 L

If it's Briess Amber DME, use their base malts (2-row Brewers Malt, Bonlander® Munich, ...).

Malt extract is itself a substitute for all grain ingredients. Why try and substitute for a substitute? IMO you are better off picking the target beer or style you want and building a grain bill from scratch.

The recipe calls for amber dme and steeping grains and I just want to convert to all grain. The beer is a black forest lager and sounded good to me.

The recipe calls for amber dme and steeping grains and I just want to convert to all grain. The beer is a black forest lager and sounded good to me.

Looks like a little more information has lead

I have a clone recipe book with a Black Forest lager recipe that is using Pilsner malt, Munich, carapils, black patent and roasted barley for the grain bill if that helps.

to a different and better answer.

edit: in some cases where I've "helped" "convert" a recipe from extract+steep to all grain, we were able to find the original all-grain recipe. And that's always a better starting point.

Last edited:
I’ll PM you... I don’t know if there are any copyright issues if I post it in public.
I'm not a copyright lawyer, but its my understanding that recipes don't get copyright protection. If the recipe is in a book, the entire book receives copyright protection, but not individual recipes.
https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2015/03/24/recipes-copyright-and-plagiarism/
From William's brewing website Re: their amber DME:
"A deep amber dry malt extract, mashed from two-row malt. Darker than our American Amber extract syrup."

So I guess they're saying its made of just 2 row that is boiled for a long period to provide the color?

Briess' website says the ingredients in their amber DME is "proprietary"

But Northern Brewer says this about Briess Amber LME:
"Northern Brewer's Briess Amber Malt Extract Syrup is composed of pale malt with caramel 60L for a grainy caramel sweetness and Munich malt for increased complexity and fullness."

And Northern Brewer gives similar information about Briess Amber DME:
"A proprietary blend of base, Munich, and 60L crystal malts. Amber color and malty flavor with caramelly overtones. Unhopped, with an SG yeild of 43 points per gallon. "

Last edited:
I have a clone recipe book with a Black Forest lager recipe that is using Pilsner malt, Munich, carapils, black patent and roasted barley for the grain bill if that helps.
FWIW the extract version of this recipe calls for “amber” DME in place of the Pilsner and to steep the others grains.

FWIW the extract version of this recipe calls for “amber” DME in place of the Pilsner and to steep the others grains.

Interesting.

Slightly off topic #1: With the (recent) availability of Munich DME, one could use Pilsner DME & Munich DME, steep the black patent (color) and roasted barley (flavor / color), and skip the carapils.

Slightly more off topic #2: In the extract version of the recipe, if the "steep" was done at 150F-ish for 30-ish minutes, the munich malt would "technically" make it a mini-mash / partial-mash.

Interesting.

Slightly off topic #1: With the (recent) availability of Munich DME, one could use Pilsner DME & Munich DME, steep the black patent (color) and roasted barley (flavor / color), and skip the carapils.

Slightly more off topic #2: In the extract version of the recipe, if the "steep" was done at 150F-ish for 30-ish minutes, the munich malt would "technically" make it a mini-mash / partial-mash.
The book I’m looking at is 20 years old. Things have come a long way since then.

SNPA is 8% C60, so 10% C60 might be a bit low to get proper Amber caramel flavor and color. At least 15% I'd say. And 5% Munich is negligible. 20% would work for me. So 65% 2 row, 20% munich and 15% C60, that's my guess at converting Briess Sparking Amber.

Latest posts

Back