All grain Sierra Clone-need help fixing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cj7cowboy

Reaction score
So my first AG, and I decided to grind my own grain. This is the clone off of Adventures in Homebrewing. After the fact I realized that the mill had loosened and that my milling was poor. I checked gravity during the boil and determined I was going to finish around 35 with a target of 55. Rather than boil all night and end up with 3 gallons instead of 5, I added a pound of sugar to the boil and a pound of honey at flame out. I completed all the hop additions but am wondering how I should finish this beer. I am fermenting with US05 and this one has a dry hop. I'm debating whether I should do this or not due to the sugars added and why waste an ounce of hops if this will not be that good anyway. Looking for suggestions on how to make this one turn out decent in spite of the mistake. Open to changing the style if needed. Thanks!

With all that sugar and honey, most likely you will have a highly attenuated "thin" beer. I might try mashing a little 2-row with a high numbered Crystal malt and adding it, hoping it may add some unfermentable sweetness, and a little body improvement to save what will most likely be a very thin beer.

Back