All grain setup using two kegs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samorg42

Reaction score
I finally got a second 15.5 gal keg to complete my all grain equipment to brew at least 10 gal batches. I made my mastun by cutting the top out (grinder and jigsaw worked great-- 10" circle) and using the cut out piece for a false bottom. By drilling small holes and using a stainless scrubber to act as a filter around the tube the wort runs clear. I installed a 1/2" ball valve at the bottom, of course. It works great for the lauter and sparge and cost almost nothing.

Many people use a boil kettle with no valve and rack the boiled wort into fermenters using a racking cane. Should I add a ball valve to my second keg (my boil kettle) or just rack the boiled wort into the carboys? It is obviously cheaper and simpler with no valve, won't leak and is easier to clean. Perhaps the trub will stay in the boil kettle better using the cane too. It seems like you need to use your cane anyway to get the last couple of litres out of the bottom.

That is personal preference you dont have to rack most people install a dip tube that runs to bottom of keg and can drain almost empty
its not bad to scale your receipes up a little to leave that last little bit in the pot as its mostly break material

Back