All Grain Setup - Adding a Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgster

Reaction score
I’m looking at adding a pump to my all grain system since my back is tired of moving hot wort. Eventually my goal is to go to an electric system but I’m going in a phased approach.

Currently I use converted kegs for my MLT and Boil Kettle with no HLT (although I have an extra keg ready I’ve never seen the need). I am looking at the chugger steelhead as it seems to be a good overall value.

Where I’m struggling is with the quick disconnects / design. I have attached my fancy MS paint drawing to show what I think I need and am looking for some input. I would think that quick male disconnects for 1,2,3 and female quick disconnects for 6 and 7.

I would think that quick disconnects for 4,5 and 8,9 would be somewhat optional.

Currently I don’t have a valve located in position three so I would have to add that which would enable me to transfer water into my MLT.

I am also struggling with what types of quick disconnects to order I see the traditional style that seems similar to what I use with my air hoses and the cam lock style from Brewers Hardware. Any thoughts on these?

flow diagram.png

I don't think you need a valve at point 3. If it is above the liquid line, then nothing will flow out, but it can still be used as a return. I put a valve right at the output of the pump and one at each lower bulkhead.

I also put a return fitting on my boil kettle, so that I can recirculate from the bottom to the top while cooling the wort after the boil, but that one certainly isn't necessary either.

My two cents -

Use male camlocks on points 1,2,4,5 (with ball valves on 1,2, and 5).

Use female camlocks on your hose ends (points 6,7,8,9). You might consider 90 degree elbows for the cams on points 6 and 7. Elbows aren't recommended for places like point 8, as they can potentially restrict flow to the pump inlet.

I put my recirculation port on the MLT through the top, so a valve wasn't necessary. I'd say only you can answer the question as to whether or not point 3 needs a valve. Does your MLT get full enough for it to matter? Regardless of valve or no valve, I'd use a male camlock for point 3 as well.

I've found that on my setup, using the camlocks makes everything much easier. Particularly at points 5 and 9. I prime my pump by disconnecting the hose there and letting liquid from the source vessel flow out and through the pump until the inlet hose is full and free of air pockets. I capture the liquid (wort) in a little pot and just pour it back into the source vessel (MLT or kettle). Then I connect the hose and start the pump. Sounds more complicated than it is.

I'll agree with cravej in that I like being able to whirlpool in the boil kettle. Not sure what type of chiller you use but you might consider adding some sort of port/recirc arm to your kettle so you can use your pump to whirlpool.

I just added a stainless chugger to my setup and I love it. Good luck and enjoy the brew.

I don't think you need a valve at point 3. If it is above the liquid line, then nothing will flow out, but it can still be used as a return. I put a valve right at the output of the pump and one at each lower bulkhead.

I also put a return fitting on my boil kettle, so that I can recirculate from the bottom to the top while cooling the wort after the boil, but that one certainly isn't necessary either.

Good point, no need for a valve up there just a hose connection.

My two cents -

Use male camlocks on points 1,2,4,5 (with ball valves on 1,2, and 5).

Use female camlocks on your hose ends (points 6,7,8,9). You might consider 90 degree elbows for the cams on points 6 and 7. Elbows aren't recommended for places like point 8, as they can potentially restrict flow to the pump inlet.

I put my recirculation port on the MLT through the top, so a valve wasn't necessary. I'd say only you can answer the question as to whether or not point 3 needs a valve. Does your MLT get full enough for it to matter? Regardless of valve or no valve, I'd use a male camlock for point 3 as well.

I've found that on my setup, using the camlocks makes everything much easier. Particularly at points 5 and 9. I prime my pump by disconnecting the hose there and letting liquid from the source vessel flow out and through the pump until the inlet hose is full and free of air pockets. I capture the liquid (wort) in a little pot and just pour it back into the source vessel (MLT or kettle). Then I connect the hose and start the pump. Sounds more complicated than it is.

I'll agree with cravej in that I like being able to whirlpool in the boil kettle. Not sure what type of chiller you use but you might consider adding some sort of port/recirc arm to your kettle so you can use your pump to whirlpool.

I just added a stainless chugger to my setup and I love it. Good luck and enjoy the brew.

Thanks for the comments, it makes sense that cams on 5 and 9 would help with priming i hadn't thought of that. I'm not used to pumps that require priming as i generally use submerged pumps (not for brewing though!) just piecing my order together now, any suggestion on spots to get the cam locks it seems brewers hardware has some decent pricing.

Thanks for the comments, it makes sense that cams on 5 and 9 would help with priming i hadn't thought of that. I'm not used to pumps that require priming as i generally use submerged pumps (not for brewing though!) just piecing my order together now, any suggestion on spots to get the cam locks it seems brewers hardware has some decent pricing.

No problem man. I bought my entire pump setup (pump, camlocks, hosing, fittings, etc) from BobbyM at BrewHardware.com. He's a great vendor who answers questions promptly and got my order to me correctly and quickly. He posts on here a lot. I ended up buying his 'Add-A-Pump' kit, plus some additional fittings. It was perfect for me and from your posts it sounds like it would work for you too.

Good luck with the project.

Edited to add the obligatory - I'm not affiliated with brewhardware.com in any way. Just a satisfied customer.

I just got a bunch of camlocks from bargainfittings.com so maybe compare them with the brewersharfware.

Actually I just ordered from Brew Hardware I purchased a few sight glasses from there before and was happy with the products the explanations of the cam locks was top notch so I felt pretty comfortable I purchased all the appropriate pieces.

Back