All grain recipe - thoughts, comments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenCL

Reaction score
new to making up my own recipes, Is this recipe sane

10 litre/2.6gal

Ingredients

3.00 kg/6.6lb Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 71.4 %
1.00 kg/2.2lb Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC) Grain 2 23.8 %
0.20 kg/.4lb Caraaroma (256.1 EBC) Grain 3 4.8 %

20.00 g/.7oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min 15.3 IBUs
10.00 g/.35 Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min 11.7 IBUs
10.00 g/.35 Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min 3.0 IBUs

1 pkg Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand)

BIAB 60min mash, 90min boil.

Just a rando recipe I brewed today, does it make sense? Will it work?

What style beer are you going for? Something along the lines of a pale ale, I'm assuming?

If so, it looks pretty good though I would make two modifications:
1) US-05 instead of notty
2) 60 minute boil should be plenty

You could also consider doing a flameout hop addition to get some more of that delicious amarillo flavour with minimal/no bittering

What is your efficiency? That looks like a DIPA strength beer with hopping more like a blond (i.e 30 IBU and the equivalent of just 0.7 oz per 5 gal finishing hops). I think it's going to be very unbalanced but I guess it depends what you were going for and on your efficiency.

If you want to spend 150 minutes brewing, give your mash 90 and your boil 60. Either way, you'll still have a good beer, which is what you want.

Whether your recipe looks good or not definitely depends upon the style of beer that you're going for. It looks like you're going for a very malt-forward beer? This looks like it will be very high ABV (depending upon your brewhouse efficiency) with a low to moderate IBU.

I think your ratio of grains looks really good. I like a high percentage of Vienna malt, and I've only recently starting using Caraaroma, but I really like it. I think I actually prefer it to the darker cara/crystals (90,120).

Thanks for all the replies.

The long boil was because I started with more water as a precaution and boiled it off.

Yes , it is rather unbalances, and I can detect that now. Though, the hop bitterness does come through.

I may add fruit puree or something to add sourness if its far too malty. Will definitely dry hop.

I have no idea what my actual efficiency is right now.

The style was nothing in particular, just putting stuff into Beersmith and experimenting - experimenting with brewing and Beersmith.

OG was 1.070-75 or abouts, which i think is fine, but lower than Brewsmith stated.

Bubbling away nicely today.

Back