All grain recipe, need your tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2904

Reaction score
ok so Im actually going to brew my second all grain recipe.
I took the recipe from here "Fizzy Yellow Beer"
this is it:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-05
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.008 (too low!)
IBU: 21
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days at 62
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Kegged and cold
Tasting Notes: A huge hit with the BMC crowd! Nice white head, clear and crisp but with flavor.

7 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 30.00 %
0.50 oz Pearle [8.40 %] (60 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (45 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 150 degrees for 60-75 minutes. Sparge to get boil volume. Boil for 60 minutes, and rapidly chill to 62 degrees. Add yeast, and ferment at 62 for 14 days. Rack into secondary, or keg, and crash cool until clear.

Ok Im going to do some changes so tell me what do you think.
3 kgs of vienna
2 kgs of pilsner
15gr pearle 60min
15gr Hallertau Mittlefruh 45min
15gr pearle 0min
15gr Hallertau Mittlefruh 0min.

this is going to be 20-22 liters batch, so I do 15liter mash for 60min then mash out then 15liters sparge to get boil volume.
ferment at my room temp hoping for good (I measured with the stc1000 the temp and got 23c in day and night that day.
ferment for 14days then mabye cold crash then bottle with table sugar for 2.5 co2volume (using the calculator).

so what do you think?
and btw how bad is it if I cannot get my wort chilled to the right temp and I pitch yeast OR I do get it chilled but after along time of stirring and hoping not to get infected?

So to sum up you dropped the Vienna from 70 to 60%, swapped out the Tettnang for Hallertau, and added a flameout perle addition. I think you would be fine with those changes, still a very similar beer. I would really encourage you to get your wort fully chilled before pitching, though, and 23c is too hot for US-05 in my opinion especially with this beer. At 73.5 F ambient you could be closing in on 80 during active fermentation. Can you do a cheap swamp cooler (tub with water and ice bottles)?

So to sum up you dropped the Vienna from 70 to 60%, swapped out the Tettnang for Hallertau, and added a flameout perle addition. I think you would be fine with those changes, still a very similar beer. I would really encourage you to get your wort fully chilled before pitching, though, and 23c is too hot for US-05 in my opinion especially with this beer. At 73.5 F ambient you could be closing in on 80 during active fermentation. Can you do a cheap swamp cooler (tub with water and ice bottles)?

actually thats what I did before but the room temp could reach to over 30c.
but anyway, I cant know what is the temp if I put it in water tub...

A number of folks put a stick on fermometer horizontally just below the beer level then fill the water a few inches lower than that. It's up to you, but temp control is one of the biggest things you can do to improve the quality of your beer. If your room temp is getting up to 30c you'll want to do something or risk headache inducing fusel bombs.

A number of folks put a stick on fermometer horizontally just below the beer level then fill the water a few inches lower than that. It's up to you, but temp control is one of the biggest things you can do to improve the quality of your beer. If your room temp is getting up to 30c you'll want to do something or risk headache inducing fusel bombs.

it was at summer....brewed 3 batches this summer got only 1-2 bombs :p

The recipe looks fine.

If you want better beer you'll take Chickypad's advice and use a swamp cooler. It is extremely easy to do. I freeze around 6 water bottles and rotate either 2 or 3 at a time depending on the temperature. Change the bottles 2 to 3 times a day. You'll want to keep the fermentation temperature 70 degrees or below (not room temperature)

If it ferments to hot it will taste and smell kind of like hard alcohol, that's what he means by fusel bomb not bottle bombs.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. I thought you meant you lost a couple batches to off flavors. You may have gotten away with it but its really good practice to try for some better temp control.

Back