All grain or Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newby94

Reaction score
I did my first Extract kit last week, my question is what is the big difference between extract kits and all grain brewing is the taste different? Is one cheaper than the other? Or is it just up to each brewer how they want to make the beer like a chef in a kitchen with ingredients?

All grain is definitely cheaper.

Extract is basically pre-mashed wort, so the grain is already mashed and made into wort. Then specialty grains can be used just like in all grain, for flavor and color.

You pay for the convenience of extract. The last package I bought of dry malt extract (DME) was $13 for three pounds. That would be equal to about 5 pounds of grain, at under $1/pound. So grain is definitely cheaper.

Just like with other conveniences, sometimes that is worth it. Sometimes not. It depends on how much time you have and how much additional equipment.

The downside of extract is that since it has already been processed by the manufacturer, you are a bit limited to its fermentability and color and so you get a more custom product if you mash it yourself.

I did extract for the first year of homebrewing. I always had a twangy taste that I could never get rid of, until I went to all grain. In terms of cost, it's a definitely cheaper. I've seen extract kits going for as much as $40 and I don't think that includes yeast. I only brew lagers and make them for about 20 bucks or less. You can really create anything you want when you all grain. I would highly recommend it.

I did extract for the first year of homebrewing. I always had a twangy taste that I could never get rid of, until I went to all grain. In terms of cost, it's a definitely cheaper. I've seen extract kits going for as much as $40 and I don't think that includes yeast. I only brew lagers and make them for about 20 bucks or less. You can really create anything you want when you all grain. I would highly recommend it.

So do the all grains come in kits like extract kits or due you buy everything separate

^ same issue. I switched to all grain last spring. While it is more time consuming you definitely have a lot more control and at least for me I found I made much better beer and had more fun doing it

I buy everything separately. I buy my grain and hops in bulk. But even if you don't buy in bulk, like I didn't for years, it's still cheaper..imo.

So do the all grains come in kits like extract kits or due you buy everything separate

it depends on where you buy them but in most cases your all grain kits come complete

some folks start off all grain others brew extract forever

I did a couple of extract brews then a couple of partial mash brews and then went to all grain

by doing it that way it help me to learn about wort handling, mashing, yeast, etc.

but I read all I could about brewing for about 8 months before I brewed

I buy my grain now in bulk and it is cheap to brew

All the best

S_M

Yes. That's the fun part, you get to choose from a kit or from buying individual grains. There are tons of recipes available or you can "roll your own".

With all grain, you will spend more in equipment costs. Need a mash tun(look up DIY mash tun), liquor pot or tank, maybe a wort chiller, but the money you save in ingredients will make up for the expense in just a few batches. Also getting a brewing software program like beersmith helps alot with recipe formulation. Gives you guidelines to style of beer you want to make.

I'm not sure this is in the spirit of your question, but I'll throw out another consideration. Going all grain makes things a lot more complicated. More variables mean that it's more difficult for you to be consistent. Lack of consistency means you can't learn as much (or at all) from the changes you make in recipes. This makes it harder for you to grow as a brewer. Also, the difference in all grain to extract is not nearly as great as that of fermentation temp control vs no fermentation temp control. The same goes for yeast pitching rate, and full wort boil. Spending your money on fermentation temp control (fridge and temp controller) might be a better option for you if you don't already have that covered. Just some things to think about :D

I seen a YouTube video where a guy turned his bottling bucket into a Tun using a net strainer anyone use this method? I've also seen where people build them out of a cooler. Is this the only additional piece needed for a grain brew?

I built my tun out of a 5 gallon round cooler from Menards($16), about $20 for the conversion. But with a 5 gallon cooler I am limited by how much grain I can mash(12 lbs). Wish I would have gone to a 10 gallon. But I don't like the really big beers anyway. Get a brewing software if homebrewing is what you want to do.

I use my boiling pot as my mash tun via BIAB. There is a whole section on BIAB at the top of the all grain brewing section. It's simple and cheap, gets as good or better efficiency as any mash tun, takes less time, and still makes the same quality of beer.

I have been brewing extracted for about 3 years and now just went all grain.

Roger

I did extract (including some partial mashes) for about 8 months, then switched over to all-grain this past summer. I definitely prefer all-grain, since I feel like I have more control over the process. (Well, looking at it another way, I have more things over which to obsess and four which I need to prepare and account.)

My big equipment upgrade was a mash tun (10 gallon igloo with false bottom). I'd already bought a 10 gallon kettle with my startup kit, and had added a counterflow chiller along the way (homemade, so it wasn't too expensive), stir plate (again homemade).

If your kettle is big enough, you might want to give BIAB a try to see if you like all grain brewing - a nice way to test the waters without a lot of extra outlay.

I like that I have more options, and the cost is WAAAAYYYY lower. I did an analysis (imprecise, to be sure) of the various costs (fixed, variable, semi-fixed) and decided it was cheaper to stick with all grain. Plus, I like the beer better, and it's more fun - which is what I was after when I got into the hobby..

I'm not sure this is in the spirit of your question, but I'll throw out another consideration. Going all grain makes things a lot more complicated. More variables mean that it's more difficult for you to be consistent. Lack of consistency means you can't learn as much (or at all) from the changes you make in recipes. This makes it harder for you to grow as a brewer. Also, the difference in all grain to extract is not nearly as great as that of fermentation temp control vs no fermentation temp control. The same goes for yeast pitching rate, and full wort boil. Spending your money on fermentation temp control (fridge and temp controller) might be a better option for you if you don't already have that covered. Just some things to think about :D

This^^^^. I jumped into AG pretty quickly (mostly because I happen to have an AG brew mentor who lives close by), but not before addressing the issue of fermentation temp control (freezer + STC-1000 controller).

Grains are cheaper than extract, but it will cost some $$ to get set up, mostly for a bigger (10 gallons or larger) brew kettle and a wort chiller.

I made consistently good beer since batch one with AG. It really isn't a difficult thing to do. If you can read a thermometer and a recipe, you can do it consistently. Don't be scurred.
...but yes, get fermentation temp sorted first.

I did my first Extract kit last week, my question is what is the big difference between extract kits and all grain brewing is the taste different? Is one cheaper than the other? Or is it just up to each brewer how they want to make the beer like a chef in a kitchen with ingredients?

I don't believe anyone is going to say that they prefer extract over AG. Not because the beer is better or worse, just that they simply won't say it.

I brewed extract for 9 or 10 years and brewed really nice beer. I switched to AG early 2013 and have brewed some really nice beer.

I think the big question to ask yourself is do you know enough about the brewing process to move to an advanced level of brewing?

Brewing extract kits will allow a new brewer to get into the hobby inexpensively. You won't need the 8 gallon stainless steel brew kettles, or the mash tun cooler, or the stainless steel conical fermenters. Just a pot large enough to boil a few gallons of water, a couple of buckets, sanitation solution, and a sheit load of bottles.

In the mean-time, you'll learn about fermentation, sanitation, etc... and, over time, you'll be able to purchase better equipment - leading you to the end goal, which is all grain brewing.... well... there really never is an end goal with a home brewer. We all want to move up to the next level (whatever that is for each of us)... but I hope you get my point.

As for extract kits. Depending on time and supply, I still brew extract kits. There are some really good ones out there. I tend to buy mini-mash (partial mash) kits. A mini-mash kit includes a small amount of grain - usually specialty grain. The grain is steeped at the beginning of the process. It adds a good bit of fresh grain flavor to the beer that you won't get without them. Still an extract kit, but with a short steeping of grains at the beginning of the process. Nothing advanced.

An AG brew day for me takes 6-8 hours from start to finish. An extract brew day is usually around 3. In the end, whichever way I go, I end up with 5 gallons of pretty tasty beer.

So to answer the question... honestly... There really is no difference in the end product. I've found that I can brew good and bad beer either way. If someone tells you that they brewed an extract beer that tasted bad, then they need to go back and check their process... or possibly their supplier. Buy a good product to start with, use a process that will result in brewing good beer, and just enjoy yourself. It's a hobby. And the product of your hobby is a cold glass of beer.

There are a lot of unseen and untold cost to AG. The only difference in cost is the base malts be is grain or extract. I can make a few different batches of beer from extract at $25 with yeast. I think because AG is a more involved process people automatically think it's better . In my club I've done bling tasting as well as labeling a extract beer as all grain and all grain beer as extract. Everyone pointed out they liked the all grain labeled beer better " not knowing it was really an extract brew".

I brew both but prefer using extract as a base malt. I find it more consistent day in day out.

I don't believe anyone is going to say that they prefer extract over AG. Not because the beer is better or worse, just that they simply won't say it.

I brewed extract for 9 or 10 years and brewed really nice beer. I switched to AG early 2013 and have brewed some really nice beer.

I think the big question to ask yourself is do you know enough about the brewing process to move to an advanced level of brewing?

Brewing extract kits will allow a new brewer to get into the hobby inexpensively. You won't need the 8 gallon stainless steel brew kettles, or the mash tun cooler, or the stainless steel conical fermenters. Just a pot large enough to boil a few gallons of water, a couple of buckets, sanitation solution, and a sheit load of bottles.

In the mean-time, you'll learn about fermentation, sanitation, etc... and, over time, you'll be able to purchase better equipment - leading you to the end goal, which is all grain brewing.... well... there really never is an end goal with a home brewer. We all want to move up to the next level (whatever that is for each of us)... but I hope you get my point.

As for extract kits. Depending on time and supply, I still brew extract kits. There are some really good ones out there. I tend to buy mini-mash (partial mash) kits. A mini-mash kit includes a small amount of grain - usually specialty grain. The grain is steeped at the beginning of the process. It adds a good bit of fresh grain flavor to the beer that you won't get without them. Still an extract kit, but with a short steeping of grains at the beginning of the process. Nothing advanced.

An AG brew day for me takes 6-8 hours from start to finish. An extract brew day is usually around 3. In the end, whichever way I go, I end up with 5 gallons of pretty tasty beer.

So to answer the question... honestly... There really is no difference in the end product. I've found that I can brew good and bad beer either way. If someone tells you that they brewed an extract beer that tasted bad, then they need to go back and check their process... or possibly their supplier. Buy a good product to start with, use a process that will result in brewing good beer, and just enjoy yourself. It's a hobby. And the product of your hobby is a cold glass of beer.

This is the first time I have heard anyone mention a stainless steel fermenter needed for Grain brewing? Is this really "needed" or is it just a upgraded if "wanted"

He said.. you WON'T need a SS fermenter. Yes, they are available.. but, I'll bet that over 90% of us use plastic or glass for fermenting.

Lots of good advise here. You can turn out GREAT beer from extract. All grain gives you more control of what goes into the wort.. and it can be fresher, ingredient wise. That said, a well brewed extract will be hard/impossible to tell from AG. Def a lot less $$ involved. Some say.. Go for it.. I do AG now.. but, still do extract every so often. It's just quicker and easier. I do, however, check the dates on my extract. It can go downhill over time.. but, not like back in the 60's to 90's. Processes and packaging are getting better over time.

This is the first time I have heard anyone mention a stainless steel fermenter needed for Grain brewing? Is this really "needed" or is it just a upgraded if "wanted"

I used that comment for comparison purposes.... Extract vs All Grain. As home brewers, sometimes we tend to get carried away with things. Like a kid in a candy store, we tend to want everything that we see online, in the LHBS, or in a catelog. The comment was meant to compare the absolute minimal cost of brewing versus the extremely expensive side of it. You can purchase a stainless steel fermenter to ferment any wort that you create - extract, or all grain. You could even fill it with dirt and grow plants in it if you wanted to I suppose. Just a joke, not a suggestion.

Latest posts

Back