All grain Old Peculiar: infection that turned out ok...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionara

Reaction score
I brewed an Old Peculiar all grain months ago, and it was such a success that my buddy and I brewed a follow up batch whilst drinking it (brew date: 2nd Feb 2014). Thanks to being a bit tispy, I think we didn't sanitise everything properly, and I got my first ever infection: sharp (but weak) vinegar smell and taste and patchy ice-like formations on the top of the beer.

Edit: The brew blew its lid in primary, and spent some time lidless 'til we remedied it in the morning. I also transferred to secondary after 2 weeks.

From this forum I learned never to dump a beer, so I panicked and bottled the batch (1 gallon; 10 or 11 bottles) (16 Feb 2014; 2 weeks ago). In the name of science, I opened one just now to see if/how the "infection" was going. It went with a bang, a muzzle flare of vinegaresque mist, gushed a little, and then calmed down. It smells weaker than it did in terms of vinegar-ness, and now has a sweet fruity scent. Also, I've never had head retention on any beer like I have on this one: it is incredible, 1-2mm and creamy even 15 mins after pouring. There's a lot of sediment in here though.

It tastes good, too. Definitely green, but has none of the usual green yeastie/buttery tastes (this have been replaced by a sharp fruity taste). I really think it'll be a good beer in another 2-4 weeks. Will the sharp cider/vinegar aspect fade and let the ale through?

Do you think I hit the bacteria lottery of accidental good beer?

I'll finish the pint and let you know how my stomach is in the morning! :mug:

Back