All Grain...Mash Tun vs BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubster

Reaction score
I want to try an all-grain next time around but I don't want to invest in a bunch of equipment until I know that I want to stick with all-grain and home brewing in general. I have a couple coolers I can use, I was just wondering how much if any difference there is in the final product by going BIAB vs using a mash tun.

Nope. They produce the same product. Some will say that BIAB yields less efficeincy, but some report 90% with BIAB.

If you have a cooler already, your main kettle for the boil, and a pot (5 gallons is what I use) for sparge water then give the cooler route a try. It doesn't cost much at all for a spigot to convert the cooler and a bazooka screen or braid. If you don't have another pot definitely try BIAB first to see if you want to go AG. I'm pretty sure you'll get hooked on it like most of us :) But yeah, either method makes great beer.

Rev.

I do BIAB in a cooler. I just put a bag into the cooler and do my mash that way. I did change the spigot recently which made things a lot easier but am sticking with the bag. I get very good efficiency as well.

I view BIAB more as a different way to lauter than anything. you still have all the same problems of trying to keep it at a constant temperature, mixing it well and getting all the sugars you can off the remaining grain at the end. it just allows you to do it all in the same vessel since the latering equipment is removable.

I view BIAB more as a different way to lauter than anything. you still have all the same problems of trying to keep it at a constant temperature, mixing it well and getting all the sugars you can off the remaining grain at the end. it just allows you to do it all in the same vessel since the latering equipment is removable.

+1 Yep.

Sounds good. I'll definitely give it a try. Thinking about trying a cream ale of some sort.

Back