All grain mash fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopadd

Reaction score
1st attempt at all grain and thermos mt. Failed due to low temp. So, fermented and ended up with a 3.5 abv "beer". Not bad taste but wanted to know if this would/could be considered a Saison. This started out as a Wheat beer "kit" with 4 lbs of cactus fruit added as a puree. Great color and drinkable, not much body...

1st attempt at all grain and thermos mt. Failed due to low temp. So, fermented and ended up with a 3.5 abv "beer". Not bad taste but wanted to know if this would/could be considered a Saison. This started out as a Wheat beer "kit" with 4 lbs of cactus fruit added as a puree. Great color and drinkable, not much body...

The normal for a beer to be a saison is the type of yeast used with temperature of fermentation a secondary factor. If you didn't use a saison yeast your beer is just a beer.

If you have DME on hand you can add that to the wort to bring up the OG. It will also add a little to the body of the beer as it will include unfermentable sugars. Your cactus puree probably equates to some level of sugar that ferments out leaving you with less body.

Low mash temperature alone won't necessarily be the cause of low ABV. It depends how low. In fact a beer fermented on a low end of normal mash temperatures might make a more fermentable wort and higher ABV. The temperature will have an affect on mouth feel.

To diagnose we will need more information. Recipe, volumes, temperatures etc.

I wouldn’t call 3.5% a failure unless all you drink is 9%+. I just got about 2.75% on a stout where my conversion was low due to poor LHBS grain crush. Yes is super light but still very drinkable. Calling it something else is not going to change taste nor ABV. Just bring some friends to finish it fast to leave space for next one. I’m taking my stout keg to the Thanksgiving party tonight :)

I'm about to make 3 batches of beer that are going to be under 4.5%. What's wrong with that? If you like the taste, what's the problem?

What was your grain bill and batch size?

This would help a lot in possibly getting some help.

All the Best,
D. Whtie

Back