All Grain Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oniontears

Reaction score
Hi, I've been an extract brewer for about a year (only with canned, pre-hopped LME, though) and am looking to upgrade my brews to all-grain. I really don't know how to go about this, though. Do you all grain guys buy raw barley and hops, or do you buy an all-grain kit? I've learned the brewing process online, but I don't know where people get their grain.

Online or a local homebrew store. You can buy grain, hops, and yeast in different styles and follow or make a recipe, or you can buy pre-designed kits.

Where do you buy your supplies now?

You need to buy a base malt (malted barley (not raw) like 2-row (gives most of your gain/abv), then add your specialty grains. I like Munic and C-40 to make a nice IPA. Again same with hops, most buy pellets. For your first beer try something easy like an IPA, if your ABV is low (like my first ag brew) then it's no big deal.
For example:
10lbs 2-row
3 lbs Munic
1lb crystal 40

Bittering hops 60min
more hops 15 min,5 min, 0 min

Oniontears...if you're thinking of going all grain, you should consider buying an all grain kit from an online vendor for your first few batches. Order everything ground.

When I first started all grain I bought AG kits from Midwest. It really helped to have everything put together for me, and the kit came with good directions to help walk me through the process. I also new what OG I was looking for, and that helped me a lot.

Once you've done a couple of kits you could go to your LHBS and with a recipe and have them help you put it together.

Making the switch to AG has definitely been worth it

Just my 2 cents

I have been doing what he said ^ Austinhomebrew has great prices on one gallon kits , that include shipping..I have done 2 to learn the AG process and whatnot - no complaints

Back