All-Grain Hardware Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindsculptor

Reaction score
My previous experience is with extract brewing, for which a simple stove top range and an okay lobster pot was all that I really needed. I am given to understand that all-grain is, in the end, cheaper than extract but up-front equipment costs are relatively steep. That said, I don't want to cheap out.

1) Blichmann pots are nice, but I like to support small companies and I'm wondering if there aren't a couple making pots just as nice.

2) Is there a recommended burner? I like the concept of the multi-tip jet burners, but the minimum BTU rating is 100,000 and I have visions of scorched wort dancing in my head.

3) What's the best pump available? My only experience with fluid pumps is on the PC cooling side and those are notoriously adverse to particulate.

Hey man, I will agree that all grain is a steep price to do it. But the enjoyment is great. I personally do both all grain and extract batches. To answer your questions:
1) spikebrewing.com small company that has pots as good as blichmann. Read their FAQ.

2) burners also depend on the size of batches you want to make. Honestly I've heard of a lot of brewers using Bayou classic burners whether it's just the stand alone burner or a burner and stand. Check on homebrewtalk.com they usually alert you of deals on those burners and most of the deals are on amazon.

3) no experience w pumps so I can't say.

Good luck! Trust me when I say it's a good idea to go your route of "don't cheap out" you'll be glad later. Cheers

If you want to get your feet wet with minimal upfront cost, search brew in a bag. The only requirement above and beyond what is necessary for extract is a paint strainer bag (or something similar). They are sold at Lowe's 2/~$4.75.

Basically, what you used for extract plus $2 will get you to basic BIAB.

1) spikebrewing.com small company that has pots as good as blichmann. Read their FAQ.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

2) burners also depend on the size of batches you want to make. Honestly I've heard of a lot of brewers using Bayou classic burners whether it's just the stand alone burner or a burner and stand. Check on homebrewtalk.com they usually alert you of deals on those burners and most of the deals are on amazon.

Well, I will probably start out a five gallons just to get experience, but eventually I'm going to move to ten. I like big beers, especially those that age well, so brewing enough that I can actually save some is a must.

By the way, any recs on books for all-grain?

If you want to get your feet wet with minimal upfront cost, search brew in a bag. The only requirement above and beyond what is necessary for extract is a paint strainer bag (or something similar). They are sold at Lowe's 2/~$4.75.

Basically, what you used for extract plus $2 will get you to basic BIAB.

I was thinking of that as an intermediate step. It's going to be slow going to get to my ultimate system, but I intend to build up to it without having to replace expensive equipment.

I was thinking of that as an intermediate step. It's going to be slow going to get to my ultimate system, but I intend to build up to it without having to replace expensive equipment.

you can check out wilserbrewer BIAB bags on here.. and the site is http://biabbags.webs.com/
i use his bags and work very well.. if you do not have a mill i suggest you get one

It's good to see you already know about the investment, and it looks like your going about it the right way, but not wanting to be cheap. Good thinking!! Dude, just jump in. My 2 cents, set up a gravity system, I just use a high legged burner for my HLT, and square igloo cooler for my mash tun and a floor burner for my boil kettle, so dont really need a pump. They are nice but a little work out won't hurt. You will never go back to extract after you taste your first all-grain. Hope this helps..
BTW, I use an unknown burner on top and a bayou classic on the bottom.
Plus go ahead and invest in a good and big boil pot with a good bottom. I brewed only 30 beers when my first pot started to go on me...
This forum is awesome and has helped more than anything...

For books, I suggest Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" to get started and understand the basics and how to functionally brew AG, but if you want to also understand things beyond "how to brew" such as chemistry, biological function of the yeast, and things like how water chemistry can affect minute facets of your brew, go with John Palmer's "How to Brew". I have both and found reading Papazian's very useful to get a base knowledge, and Palmer's book to advance knowledge beyond the basics that Papazian makes easy to understand and keeps simple.
For what it's worth, I got my entire AG setup for under $200. Turkey burner @ Bass Pro for $40 on Black Friday, Aluminum 10 gallon kettle for $33 on Amazon + lid for $10, cooler for a mash tun @ Walmart for $30, about $15 for the additional hardware, about $50 for the copper tubing for my wort chiller. Far from an ideal setup, but it makes good beer and I'm currently a nursing student so I can't afford a good setup right now. When money and time allow I'll upgrade, but if you're looking to just get into AG and then upgrade one piece at a time, you'll make the difference back in ingredients on the first 10 batches you brew. Let me know if you want me to PM you any of the resources I used if you decide that the absolute basics are the route you want to follow to start AG brewing. Also - as tommyguner said, if you can afford a mill, you can save even more money by buying bulk grains from your LHBS, but if not, they'll always crush for you when you buy it.

1. What is your budget?
2. What are you willing to budget over the next 3 years?
The answers to those questions will determine your path. BIAB is a shorter step, but even that may require a larger heat source than your stovetop for 5 gallon batches. Include kegging and a keezer in your calculations. You may or may not want that added investment but it is good to consider it.

1. What is your budget?

Right now my budget is effectively zero. I just moved back to Michigan and need to get my feet under me.

2. What are you willing to budget over the next 3 years?

Dunno. Right now I'm staying with family until I can land a job and get my own place, which naturally takes priority, but beyond that point my budget is effectively whatever I don't have to spend on necessities.

BIAB is a shorter step, but even that may require a larger heat source than your stovetop for 5 gallon batches.

Burners aren't expensive, from what I can see, so I'm thinking I might as well get one.

Include kegging and a keezer in your calculations. You may or may not want that added investment but it is good to consider it.

Kegging is way down the road, if ever And what in the world is a keezer?

Latest posts

Back