All grain efficiency help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46binder

Reaction score
Brewed Lemon Lime Hefe Weizen today, but messed up on volume and target OG. 11.25 lbs grain in recipe, I batched sparged with 4 gallons , 1st runnoffs getting me 1.063 gravity, 2nd batch sparge 3.25 gallons at 1.025, and had to add 1/2 gallon water to get me 5.75 gallons pre boil, and got 5 gallons post boil with a OG of 1.045. Supposed to be 1.051. So I'm 1/2 gallon short and low on the gravity. I grind my own grain, everythings got a good crush, and did a separate double crush of the wheat. I usually add extra lb of grain, but didn't this time. It all seemed to go good, looking at getting a newrefractometer, my hydrometer is used, maybe 15 years old, weight has crushed the end of the paper. Maybe I've been good all along. I also want to start testing the PH, using city water.

Immediately after mashing and sparging, I check the volume to see if I need more to get to my target pre boil volume. If I am low, I sparge the extra volume I need instead of just adding water. Then I make adjustments to my process for next time.

I check my volume after the first runnings to see how much sparge I will need. I heat up enough water to make sure I will have enough, but I only add what I need.

e.g. If my pre-boil volume goal is 6.5 gallons and I have 2.5 gallons after first runnings, then I add 4 gallons of sparge.

I used to calculate my sparge water and always use that much, but my volumes were getting all screwed up that way. I use 1.33 qt/lb for mash btw.

Latest posts

Back