All Grain Brewer botches Partial Extract Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philber

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How many mistakes can you make when brewing a PM batch!

1) Mash 20 minutes 2 lb of Crystal 80L, that was easy...
2) Bring to boil...no prob
3) Add DME...no prob
4) Add LME...turn you back to warm the LME and boilover #1. Wow, i forgot how easy it was to do a boil over. 2.5 gal of water in a 7 gal kettle, nothing to worry about, right...wrong.
5) Add DME...no prob...
6) go get hops you forgot in the fridge...Boil over #2.
7) add Hops...watch for boilover #4...
8) kill heat...wait head is already dead, propane tank is emptly
9) Bring filthy kettle into the house stove.
10) add aroma hops...watch for boilover #5 (Wife would have killed me if i did that in the house.)
11) Boil done...after adding 3 gal of cold tap water to bring to 5 gallons. Now pour into fermenter, oops forgot to drop in the chiller, fermenter is melting, quick put hose on the outside to keep it from melting further.
12) Temp finally at 90*, put fermenter into cellar and wait till after dinner to pitch yeast.
13) Temp at 80*, pitch those little suckers....
14) Next morning...what is that hissing sound! Yeast are going nutz, big mess out of the air lock...check pressure or pull stopper first...pull stopper...BOOOOM...foam/hops every where...I love getting covered with beer first thing in the morning.
15) Open fermentation sounds good to me, put fermenter into sink and spend 3 hours cleaning hops from ceiling.
16) Fermentation now under control and airlock in place.
17) wait until beer is carbonated...I will drink in all in one day to get even with this batch!

Wow that sounds like a hell of a brew day. You better hope it's not one of your best beers so you don't have to replicate that step by step. Just curious what were you brewing?

It was a BrewersBest Kit from WholeFoods, American Amber. I hope it is good because i do want to drink it all in one day....

The Saizon I did earlier in the day turned out perfect. That one I will savor.

Latest posts

Back