All grain 1-kettle method.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kharnynb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ran into this method on a finnish site(reittausblogi.info), and was wondering what people think about it.

It uses a kettle, oven and the fermentor, and a grain bag, but no seperate mashtun.

first get water hot, put grain in bag etc.
then put the kettle, covered in a big towel or other insulating item into a 170 degree oven:

maskays2.jpg

after 90 minutes you remove the kettle and sparge into the fermenter.

huuhtelu1.jpg

huuhtelu2.jpg

add back to the kettle and bring to the boil, adding hops etc as usual.
filter with the bag folded onto your sieve back into fermenter.

keittovalmis.jpg

teko2.jpg

then just close and cool the fermenter to roomtemp. and add the yeast.

any comments, easy improvements etc?

Yeah it's just BIAB with a sparge. Rather than pour sparging over the bucket like that I prefer dunk sparging. Either way it adds a short extra step over full volume mashing but I can't fit the full volume in my pot. You don't need the blanket though, that's the whole point of pre-heating the oven. I find it holds temps exceedingly well preheating to 170 then turning the heat off.

Am I missing something? Isn't this a recipe for a guaranteed infection? Not only are you pouring your boiled wort back into the same bucket that earlier contained UNBOILED sweet wort, but you're straining it through the thoroughly-contaminated grain bag, too?

This is guaranteed going to infect the beer!

Am I missing something? Isn't this a recipe for a guaranteed infection? Not only are you pouring your boiled wort back into the same bucket that earlier contained UNBOILED sweet wort, but you're straining it through the thoroughly-contaminated grain bag, too?

This is guaranteed going to infect the beer!

Um, you are boiling the whole mess after, right? Where is the infection risk?

Um, you are boiling the whole mess after, right? Where is the infection risk?

This process has you filtering your wort back through the dirty grain bag on its way into the fermenter. Since you're not cooling the wort until it's in the fermenter maybe this isn't a problem? And you're hopefully sanitizing the fermenter after sparging.

It's also going to be a PITA to cool the wort in the fermenter since plastic won't conduct heat away as well as your kettle.

This process has you filtering your wort back through the dirty grain bag on its way into the fermenter. Since you're not cooling the wort until it's in the fermenter maybe this isn't a problem? And you're hopefully sanitizing the fermenter after sparging.

It's also going to be a PITA to cool the wort in the fermenter since plastic won't conduct heat away as well as your kettle.
i imagine the bag goes in a bucket of sanitizer before using it for the final strain, as well as sanitize the fermenter as normal

Why not just ferment in the kettle? I don't recall where I read about it, but there are people that just that. They start with a BIAB batch. Then cool their wort in the kettle and pitch their yeast into your kettle. They do the full ferment and then bottle or keg. I am not sure how you would vent the CO2 or prevent oxidation near the end of fermentation.

Because it ties up the kettle and you can't keep the pipeline flowing with out a kettle. You need multiple fermenters and at least one kettle free at all times.

Back