All grain 1 gallon brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlawrence

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to brewing as I only started back in October, but I'm very interested in moving away from kits and doing some all grain brews. Due to some space restrictions I can only do 1 gallon batchs. I currently have a couple 30L fermenters, a couple 23L carboys, a 12qt stockpot, thermometer, hydrometer, and all the basic equipment. I'm just wondering what I need to add to start all grain brewing, and what the best approach would be to start. I am planning to get a 1 gallon carboy and fermenter, and I am interested in making a stout.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

For all grain you will need a mash tun (a lunch cooler works well) and a pot big enough to boil about 2 gals of wort. Yes 2 gallons since you still need to boil for an hour and more than likely you will boil off 1 gal of liquid leaving you with the desired 1 gal.

Also, you do know that 1 gal is only about 10 beers, right? I can burn through 10 beers in 3 days. Kind of a waste since it will take you about 3 - 5 weeks to make those 10 beers.

If you have your heart set on 1 gal brews, there are many threads here that are dedicated to that. I typically will brew a 1 gal batch to try new styles to see if I would like it and if so, I will brew 20 gals of it at a time.

Good luck

Thanks!

As for 1 gallon brewing, there's a couple reasons. 1- I'm just starting and don't want to mess up 5 gallons of beer, 2- I don't have the space, 3-I can experiment better with 1 gallon, I figure. I also don't have a propane stove and I don't think I could boil 5 gallons on my kitchen stove.

Ya I've read about biab here in a few places and considered it. Would I need a mash tun still?

Easy way to all grain with 1gal brewing and a 3gal pot - Brew In A Bag.

Get a 5gal paint strainer bag from HD (or, one of Wieser's Bags which are fantastic and inexpensive), and mash in the 3gal pot. Super easy to do, just use your oven on the lowest setting and forget about it for an hour.

So you're into AG for the cost of a bag. Pretty awesome.

FWIW, I do mostly 1.5gal batches to clear a 12pk and love it. I also use a 5gal cooler as I wanted to try that route over BIAB, which works just as well and gives me something to clean while the wort was cooling.

Don't let the nay-sayers get you down on "volume" - sometimes (and more often than not) less can be more.

Check out the 1 Gal Brewer's unite thread - it's about 350+ pages of 1gal brewing fun.

+1 on brew in bag. I started out doing 1 gallon batches, great when you screw one up because its just enough to do beer and brats. a few key pieces of equipment are a Mash Tun, I converted a 2 gallon water cooler good thing about doing that is if you up-size later you can just move the valve over to a larger 10 gallon cooler and not have to pay for something twice. Also get a grams scale (amazon has them really cheap, search jewelery scale) Also a good kitchen scale for measuring grains again multipurpose so no wasted money. Also you might want to invest in a grain mill. If you get say 1 lb of specialty malt if it is crushed at the store all of the flour will be at the bottom of the bag and if your recipe only calls for 1/2 or 1/4 of a lb you will get a bunch of hulls and no flour. Another option, the one I did was buy to the nearest lb from my homebrew store and then go to my car, weigh what I needed for 1 batch then go back in and get it ground in one batch. Also you will have to wrap your mash tun with a blanket or something else and preheat it before addinf grains because the small volume of water has a lot more effect of temp shock from adding cold grains. I would generally have to halfway through pour off a cup or two of liquid and heat it to boiling and add back to the tun to keep the temp steady. Good luck I had a lot of fun doing small 1 gallon batches. Honestly though I bumped it to a 2 gallon batch soon after to be able to use a 5 gallon cooler and give me a little more beer.

1 gallon brews are my MO at the moment. I'm packing up for a cross-country move and will jump into bigger batches afterwards.

I use a 12qt pot as well. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get 5 gallon paint strainers. Use them for Brew in a Bag, which means you can mash, lauter and boil in one pot.

You won't need two gallons of wort. Here's how my brew day goes:

1) Calculate the water/grist ratio I want to go with (usually 1.25 qt/lb). A one gallon stout with an average gravity will be about 2.5-3.5lbs of grains. Absorption rate is .1 gallons of water per pound of grain. I'll go middle of the road and use 3 lbs of grain for this example. The total strike water for 1.25qt/lb for 3lbs of grain is 3.75qts of water, or almost a full gallon. However, the grain's water absorption will significantly decrease your ratio if you don't account for it. 3lbs of grain will absorb .3 gallons of water. So, add the two to get your strike water amount. 3.75+.3=4.05qts.

2) Calculate your strike water temp. With one gallon, the temp is pretty easy to manipulate. I usually heat my strike water to ten degrees above my target temp. Put the paint strainer in the pot and roll the top elastic band around the top of the pot. Now, you have a filter that can separate your grain from your wort after the mash. After mashing in, you can leave the lid off and stir if the temp is too high, or you can turn the burner on low and heat it up a few degrees. When you have mashed in and are satisfied with your temp, put a few hand towels over the top of the pot (sort of draped over the edges) to help hold the heat in.

3) While the mash is going, I usually just prep for the lauter and boil. When you have about 15 minutes left on the mash, start heating up a quart of water to about 168 for the sparge.

4) When you're done mashing, pick the grain bag up and let it drip all of the wort out. When dripping slows down, put a strainer over the top of the pot and set the grain bag in it to finish dripping. My strainer has handles on the side that sit on the lip of the pot. Turn your burner back on and start heating up the wort for the boil.

5) You can do this step by yourself, but I prefer to ask my wife for help. I usually hold the grain bag up and open, and then my wife pours the sparge water over the grains. Then, I let it drain again. If you don't have someone to hold it for you, no worries. Pour the sparge water over the bag, then stir the grains around to get out extra wort. Discard your grains.

6) When the wort is heating up, rehydrate your yeast, if using dry, so it'll be ready when you're done. I don't use liquid yeast and personally don't care to. Dry yeast is convenient and there are many options. Do your boil and follow your hop schedule. A few minutes before flameout, fill your sink with cold water and stir in a cup of salt. When you turn your burner off, move the kettle to the sink and dump a lot of ice in it. Your beer will go from boiling temp to pitching temp fairly quickly, usually around 10 or 15 minutes.

7) Because of the quick cooling, a lot of break and hop material will cone up in the center of the kettle. So, you can try siphoning from the edge to get clear wort, but I usually don't worry about it and just dump the whole thing in, or run it through a different grain bag to strain it out. Pour the rehydrated yeast into your carboy and put your wort in on top of it.

8) Once your carboy is full (don't go higher than the bottom of the neck, it'll cause a mess), put a cork on it and shake the holy hell out of it. It will introduce a little bit of oxygen into the wort, albeit not a huge amount. I usually put a napkin or rag over the top of the carboy (with a rubberband to hold it in place) for the first few days because the yeast need the oxygen and they spew a lot of CO2. When I do that vice putting an airlock on it right off the bat, I find that my fermentations are way more healthy and I get better attenuation.

My batches usually ferment out pretty quickly, 2-4 days max. Sorry for the crash course. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I've gotten quite good at one gallon batches. I think they are great for trying new recipes instead of making 5 gallons of undrinkable beer. When I finish my move, I'll move to five gallon batches to fill corny kegs and I'll use one gallon batches for one-offs or test batches.

I appreciate all the help guys, hoping to start either this weekend or next. Currently finishing up reading the last few chapters of how to brew and then I'll get into it!

Also, you can scale down some recipes off of HBT or give me a shout and I'll help you put one together. One gallon batches have odd amounts of ingredients, usually in the hops department.

I just started AG myself and after my 1rst 1 gallon batch realized the time involved. My second batch I bumped up to a 3 gallon carboy. I experimented with a 1 gallon batch in the 3 gallon carboy and it came out good. I understand doing that may screw up fermentation though, so maybe not good practice.

The 1 gallon carboy I started with came in a Brooklyn Brew kit. The directions on their web site seemed pretty good to get me going without having to go to college first for brewing. Go to Brooklyn Brew web site and read the online PDF directions to brew their kit. You can use that info to get started now without all the books. I think all the scientific stuff about brewing can come as your learning. At least that's my approach.

Once I reach the strike temperature and add the grain bag, do I turn the heat off on my stove and let the pot sit with the lid on? Or do I leave it on? How long to I mash for?
I've been reading articles but they are pretty vague when it comes to that.

Thanks.

Your equipment is bigger than mine, and I do full size brews (topping up as required). The smaller a beer is the more will go wrong with it, every tolerance gets much tighter the smaller you go, conversely the bigger you go it's easier, tolerances are more manageable and so it the process. I would encourage you particularly as you are starting out to go for five gal brews, just go for it, less can go wrong and more satisfying reward for your effort.

Once I reach the strike temperature and add the grain bag, do I turn the heat off on my stove and let the pot sit with the lid on? Or do I leave it on?

Turn it off. The goal is to maintain the target mash temperature. Usually, leaving the burner on, even on low, will still cause the temperature to keep rising. You DO NOT want to let your mash temperature get too high ("high" being above 160° F) as that will denature the enzymes and halt the conversion process. And once the enzymes have been denatured, there's no bringing them back.

I turn off the stove, cover the pot, and set it in my oven, which is pre-heated to 170°F then turned off.

How long to I mash for?

60 minutes is a common duration. You can mash longer, as long as you maintain the temperature.

I recently got into brewing 1-gallon all-grain batches using Brew In A Bag (BIAB). Here's a thread showing one sample brew day, with pictures.

Back