All copper CFC as a HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealm

Reaction score
Went to a brew day today and saw a HERMS rig using an all copper counterflow chiller as a HEX coil. The brewer pumped the wort though the center coil and the HLT water though the outer. Went finished mashing he disconnected the HLT and run cold water through to chill the wort. Has this approach been discussed here before. A quick search turned up nothing.

NealM

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Sounds like a great idea. I was thinking about doing this with a plate chiller. But I think I'll have better flow through a hex in my HLT. But there shouldn't be any problem with using a CFC. As long as there are no leaks.

I'm building a straight pipe cfc soon to do exactly that. The straight pipe makes it easier to insulate the outer pipe, so less thermal losses to ambient.

I'm building a straight pipe cfc soon to do exactly that. The straight pipe makes it easier to insulate the outer pipe, so less thermal losses to ambient.

I was going to do that but settled on my HERMS setup just to reduce space. Since my electric rig is mobile.

I was thinking if trying to this.... Still haven't quite hot around to it though . My purpose though would be to then get rid of the HLT and use either a RIMS unit or a much smaller tank of HLT . Clearly all would be electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back