All contract manufacturing - do I need Licenses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpleskiff

Reaction score
hi all,

so i have a question that may be naive. If i started a "brewery", but everything is contracted out - from the manufacturing, to the warehousing/storage, and then the beer is picked up directly by the distributor, do I need TTB and state licenses? aka if I don't ever touch it, do I need a license?

The hope would be to start producing and selling now while i wait for license approval, but seeing as that can take up to a year, it would be great to get going now since I plan to contract everything out anyways. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like something you should consult a lawyer for.

But more importantly, why would you risk it? The penalties for unauthorized distribution and sale of alcohol are severe and financially crippling. Seems like a poor decision for an aspiring entrepreneur.

I know a contract brewer and they will even get your beer into BevMo as part of the deal. If you will be a business you would need all of that legal stuff (business license and so on) done but nothing to do with brewing since you’re actually brewing.

You need whats called alternating premises/proprietor. I believe you still need a brewers notice from ttb. But possibly not a state license since you don’t actually ferment.

In general, id say its not a good idea. Lots of potential negatives, not many positives in my opinion.

Lehman beverage law can advise you more. For a fee.

Latest posts

Back