all challenger hopped english ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inthesound

Reaction score
I always find myself searching for the detailed descriptions of people using single hops in beer, so I thought I'd share my own.

10.5# thomas fawcett maris otter
1# thomas fawcett pale crystal

mash@152

2oz challenger@60
.5oz@30
.5oz@15
.5oz@10
.5oz@5
.5oz@flameout
2oz dry hop

fermented@68 w/ s-04

o.g.1.065/f.g. 1.014

78ibu's, 6.7%abv

First, I'd like to say this is really more of an american IPA, despite my intentions to make a brit IPA. I see challenger sometimes described as marmalade, and that may be true in some regards, but damn, challenger has bright orange and tangerine overtones. I really wasn't expecting this, but in the way I've used it here, it almost seems like more of an american variety (and this is uk challenger, btw).

The aroma is faint of freshly peeled tangerine, and the flavor nearly tastes as if there were a tiny bit of orange juice in the recipe, and I mean that in the best possible way.

There's a bit of tangerine right in the initial sip, but it mellows out while the bitterness lingers.

While it is quite tasty, I'll probably pull the ibu's down a bit, and alternate fuggles and challenger in the late boil and dry hop to give it a little more english character.

If anyone is looking to add orange qualities to their beer (which I usually see amarillo, summit, and admiral suggested), check out challenger. I think it would be super tasty when mixed with any of the popular fruity varieties.

I've been interested in single hope IPAs recently as well, I feel like it's a great way to "learn" a particular hop variety. Was thinking about doing an all Amarillo IPA but could not find any right now. I might try Simcoe instead. Right now I've got a 2 hop batch going, Warrior and Simcoe.

Hi, I've been on kits to date, 2 in total.

I'm panning an IPA now with single hop challenger. Will keep you posted.

Ph.

Here is my all Fuggles IPA I brewed a couple days ago for a 4.5 gallon batch:

OG 1.040 46 IBUs 4.2 SRM
6.5 lbs of American 2 Row
3.2 oz C40
60 min 2 oz Fuggles
30 min .25 oz Fuggles
10 min .25 oz Fuggles
2 min 1 oz Fuggles

I plan to dry hop with 2 oz Fuggles a few days before kegging.

I think next time I may try this with Cascade since I have a whole pound of the stuff laying around.

Back