All American Pressure Cookers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think it's time to replace my old inherited pressure cooker. I've been using it to can wort and and to sterilize equipment. I'm just getting into yeast ranching and will be using it more.

I'm looking at the All American Pressure Cookers and thinking they look like really high quality units. Anybody have one and want to give it a thumbs up or thumbs down? Is it worth the extra money?

I have model #930 and have had this for about 10yrs. It gets a lot of use and I can say I'm happy with it both performance wise and quality. Agree it is more costly than some others out there however the big difference for me was it doesn't require a gasket for the lid. Also, almost all associated parts are available in the event something does get broken.
Only minor issues I had with it was the supplied first generation lid handle was a bit flimsy but I upgraded that with the newer style handle ( I think they are now shipped with newer style). If you decide to go with purchasing just be aware there is a break in period whereby the lid is sometimes difficult to remove because it needs to seat with the canner portion because of the gasket-less metal seal, a bit of Vaseline on the edge rim helped for the first few times. Always orientate the lid same way for each use using the indicator arrows as this will speed up the break in period and prevent leaks later.
Very pleased with the unit, and didn't mind paying extra for the build quality.

Another thumbs up for All American pressure cookers. We have two and have canned lots of veggies and hundreds of jars of salmon. Great quality. Should last our lifetime and then hand down to the kids.

It has arrived!

This thing IS a tank! I'm looking forward to giving this thing a try. I might can some starter wort this weekend just to have an excuse.

So far the quality of the thing is beautiful. It wears the Made in the USA label well! It fits precisely, all surfaces are finished impeccably, and the fit and finish of the handles is just what you would expect.

Can't wait to give it a try. :rock:

Attachments

• IMG_5397.jpg
    IMG_5397.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 55
I guess my glass-topped stove didn't get the message.

At any rate, I've done that with mine, no issue.

I want to note one other thing. I called the manufacturer of my stove and asked if there was a problem, and they said there would not be. And certainly that's the case for my stove.

Is yours different? I don't know. The best move is to contact the manufacturer or look in the operation handbook and see if anything is said about it.

I want to note one other thing. I called the manufacturer of my stove and asked if there was a problem, and they said there would not be. And certainly that's the case for my stove.

Is yours different? I don't know. The best move is to contact the manufacturer or look in the operation handbook and see if anything is said about it.

What manuf?

Mine weighs in at 23lbs 14oz empty. I believe the problem with glass tops stoves is only that the pot + contents weighs a lot.

I have a gas stove, so I cannot help much.

I need to hear more about this salmon!

We used to live in Alaska on a river with a great salmon run. Every year we would get 1.5 million sockeye salmon swim by our dock in about 3-4 weeks time.

So... go catch some nice fresh salmon, fillet and skin them, cut the meat into strips, place the strips in jars and pressure cook for 110 minutes at 15psi. (I think those are the numbers, i'd have to check to be sure...). I will cold smoke some salmon prior to canning - just be a bit cautious... the canning will intensify the smoke flavor so go easy on that. You can leave the pin bones in because the pressure cooking will dissolve the bones.

Shelf stable for years. I like to eat it right out of the jar or make it into salmon patties or a dip. Yummm...

Oh my, you have my mouth watering. I lived in Washington's Olympic Peninsula for a few years on a river with steelhead and king salmon runs and everyone had smoke houses going when the runs were on and were jarring it up for the long wet winter.
Loved it with a beer or three. Now you have me missing it ;)

Cheers!

We used to live in Alaska on a river with a great salmon run. Every year we would get 1.5 million sockeye salmon swim by our dock in about 3-4 weeks time.

So... go catch some nice fresh salmon, fillet and skin them, cut the meat into strips, place the strips in jars and pressure cook for 110 minutes at 15psi. (I think those are the numbers, i'd have to check to be sure...). I will cold smoke some salmon prior to canning - just be a bit cautious... the canning will intensify the smoke flavor so go easy on that. You can leave the pin bones in because the pressure cooking will dissolve the bones.

Shelf stable for years. I like to eat it right out of the jar or make it into salmon patties or a dip. Yummm...

I do the same thing with leftover turkey. I envy the salmon running... man o man.

Back