all amarillo ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisbrewer

Reaction score
planning to venture into forming an all amarillo ipa. i was wondering if any of you have ventured down this path and have suggestions as far as grain bill, water style etc.

after drinking two cases of the alchemists broken spoke i can not stop thinking about doing something all amarillo, that stuff was amazing !:D

planning to venture into forming an all amarillo ipa. i was wondering if any of you have ventured down this path and have suggestions as far as grain bill, water style etc.

after drinking two cases of the alchemists broken spoke i can not stop thinking about doing something all amarillo, that stuff was amazing !:D

As usual Beersmith has answers :)

As usual Beersmith has answers :)

well i know that ! haha , just looking to see what some peoples experiences are. I have read tons of recipes so far. not too sure if im looking to go for a smash or not.

and seeing if anyone who has had the broken spoke as well as experience brewing them has any advice thats all.

Every year I make an all Amarillo IPA for my July 4th party. Always a hit. It's essentially a SMASH. A crowd pleaser even among the BMC crowd.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showth...k you sir, appreciate the link and the input

I got my wife into IPAs from the Amarillo IPA I have now made twice and it's great. I made a series with the same grains but with different hops. They weren't meant to be high in bittering ibus but you can adjust as needed. You won't be disappointed with Amarillo hops. This is my base bill. Hope it helps

10 gal
24lbs 2 row
2lbs c20l
2lbs Munich light
2oz Columbus 60min
4oz Amarillo 8min
4oz Amarillo 0min

I did an Amarillo/Vienna SMASH a while back. I thought the beer had harsher bitter flavors (higher cohumulone content?). Might be worth doing a 30 min boil, or using CTZ or similar for the 60 min addition.

The harshness did age out and I enjoyed the beer very much, but if I did it again I would bitter with a generic bittering hop.

If you find any clones for Three Floyds Gumball head, that's an all-Amarillo APA which is pretty dang good. I have a recipe, but it's at home.

An amarillo APA is my favorite and house APA. I use 84% 2 Row, 8% Crystal 40L and 8% Carapils. I bitter at 60 minutes to 20 IBU with Amarillo, add 20 IBU at 30 minutes and 10 IBU at 10 minutes. I then dry hop with 2 OZ for 5 days for 5 gallons, all Amarillo hops.

Jim

I found Amarillo on it's own was a bit earthy - but I might have over bittered which probably didn't help - I keep hearing it works well mixed with Cascade so I think I'm going to mix it next time (it was with 100% Maris Otter)

How many IBUs did the beer have?

Amarillo is very nice and fruitty. Maybe pair it with Mosaic/Galaxy/El Dorado.

But I never got earhty from this hop.

It was approx 60 IBU - 1oz Pilgrim at 60, 1oz Amarillo at 20, 1oz Amarillo at 0

Amarillo is one of my top hops and I buy it by the pound since I use it frequently. I rarely follow published recipes exactly, and tend to adjust to my personal tastes. But if you take a look at Great Fermentations site, the have an AG kit called Amarillo Face and the recipe is listed. This recipe is darn near perfect as is with 100% Amarillo hops.

I developed a recipe for a Hoppy Wheat with Lemongrass. I use Amarillo for 75% of the hop bill and 25% Sorachi Ace to bump up the lemon influences in this beer. A simple recipe if you are interested...send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a word doc recipe.

I haven't had Broken Spoke, but assuiming it's a NEIPA like Heady, you're going to want to try to nail the aspects of that style. I'd recommend the following:

Some flaked wheat (about 1/2 lb for a 5 gallong batch)
Some flaked oats (for mouthfeel)
Mostly 2 row, golden promis and/or maris otter
Significant emphasis on late boil and whirlpool hop additions
Little to no 60 minute addition
IBU rating around 45-55 tops (assuming around 6% ABV)
Dry hop during active fermentation
Around 12 oz total hops for a 5 gallon batch works well

Also, I'd recommend WYeast 1318 yeast

For water, I'd shoot for chloride around 150 and sulfate around 70. I start with RO water and build the profile I want. You will likely need an oz or two of acidulated malt to get your pH in the right range if you do that.

Beyond that, adjust as needed (esp. IBU) for target ABV

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I have a half pound of Amarillo for a similar beer. I can post my planned recipe if you're interested.

Latest posts

Back