Alittle HELP....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Job had me away for 5 months! ( Not doing that again lol )

I asked a family member to help me out with a few basic things around my house. I have a friend that cleans so she kept an eye on the important stuff and called someone when to plow snow or cut lawn etc etc.

My family member was to keep an eye on my wine- All I needed was to have one 4 gal. topped off with wine I bought to match and to make sure the toppers didn't run low on sanitized water.
Well, in my basement right now is a 4 full bottles of wine that were never added and on another carboy of wine the topper is almost dry it's below the line.

How will I know if these are any good yet? A simple taste??

Absolutely, smell them and taste them.
Look at the wine in the carboy, if you see a white film on the surface, rack from below that line into a clean carboy, I would assume that after 5 months the wine might need some meta as well.
As far as the airlock, it hasn't run fully dry so I would think that you are fine, I'd remove it and add more water, and put it back.

Back