Algae like stuff after 4 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siletzspey

Reaction score
First post alert!!!

I have several old and new apple trees, and made my first batch of hard cider last year using commercial yeasts. All 3 gallons came out amazingly well.

This year I pressed enough for 7 gallons, treated all with k-meta, and then let 1 gallon naturally ferment. A half dose of nutrients and 1 cup of brown sugar per gal were also added. After 4+ weeks, the 3 gal WLP002, 3 gal S-04 and 1 gal wild are nearing stillness.

About 3 weeks in however, the wild batch started forming an algae-like coating on the sides of the carboy. I can't tell if its something bad or not. What do you think?

131025-cider-issue.jpg

Thanks,

--SiletzSpey

What did you use for yeast nutrient?

I added 1/4 tsp/gal of diammonium phosphate (Brewcraft pkg recommended 1 tsp/gal) and 1/4 tsp/gal of thiamin vitamin B complex (Brewcraft pkg recommended 1/2 tsp/gal).

I see debate on if and how much nutrient to add, and figuring I had the benefit of fresh pressed juice, I erred on the side of a partial dose.

Basic timeline: k-meta day 1, yeasts added to the 3ga carboys day 3, all carboys including 1ga wild fermenting strong at day 7, slowdown by day 18 so tossed in nutrients and 50ml maple syrup/gal at day 18, first rack with SGs at ~0.980 day 25, added 1-cup brown sugar/gal to all day 34 and fermentation roared back to life, algae formation in the wild became apparent day 48-ish, picture above was yesterday at day 57 and fermentation has nearly stopped.

--SiletzSpey

siletzspey-avatar-100x91.jpg

The batch that I'm drinking now had something that looked similar. I think you are fine.

Back