Alex's (Debateably) Ugli Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaempfer0080

Reaction score
Debateably Ancient* Ugli Mead

This is my version of the JAOM/MAOM, but it uses an ugli fruit instead of the orange. Have you ever had or seen an ugli fruit? They're pretty damn ugly. I was at the grocery store with my girlfriend the other day and she made me buy one, when we went home to eat it it was much better than I expected. Inside the hideous rind is a perfectly spherical "orange". The ugli fruit is a mixture of several citrus fruits, and is extremely juicy. I told her if the fruit tasted good I would make mead with it, so here we are.

Ingredients:

Juice of 1 Ugli fruit
3lb honey
water to 1 gallon
~2tsp orange zest(I don't trust ugli zest)
1 clove(optional)
Cinnamon stick (also optional)
The Debateably Ancient Part
Bread Yeast, Sweet Mead Yeast(wyeast or white labs), Lalvin D47 or Lalvin KV1116
Yeast Nutrient(Per package instructions)
Yeast Energizer(Per package instructions)

Process:

I made 2 1 gallon batches(as well as 1 gallon of MAOM) and both were more or less identical, with the only difference being yeast used. I didn't feel like spending 7 dollars for the tube of liquid sweet mead yeast and have a lot of lalvin packets on hand. I decided to use different yeasts in each gallon and see the difference in the end results. I used bread yest in my MAOM, and d47/1116 in the ugli meads.

Start by sanitizing all your equipment and get a pot of water on the stove. I used about 1/2 gallon and would recommend at least that much, otherwise you may have difficulty dissolving the honey. Loosen up your honey by running the containers under hot water or microwaving them. Once your water is about to boil, shut the heat off and add your honey. You don't need to sanitize honey but you can if you want. I stirred to dissolve, you could keep the temp around 160 for 15 minutes or so to sanitize if you so desire.

Meanwhile, juice the ugli fruit. I found that the easiest way was to cut it horizontally and juice it like an orange. Get as much juice as you can out. The reason we're only using the juice is because people often say their JAOM has a pithy taste that needs aging. If you think oranges are pithy just wait till you cut open an ugli fruit. I put the ugli juice into a sanitized glass and set it aside. I also made my starter around this time.

After the honey/water solution is well dissolved, you can rapid chill it in the sink with ice water or just put it in your primary depending on your normal procedures. I put the juice and zest in the carboy first then poured the honey water in over it. Top off the carboy with water and give it a good shake. Depending on too many factors to name, pitch your starter when the must is around room temp.

I zested one orange and split it between the 3 gallon jugs, I'd guess it was around 1-2 tsp per gallon. You can use however much you like. I skipped the spices this time but will probably give them a try on my next go.

------------------------

I made these 3 gallon batches on Monday morning and then promptly ran out the door to catch a train. I didn't add any nutrient/energizer at the time but may do so when I get back home. I'll update with progress and pictures. I'll probably stick with the 2 months sitting in a cabinet method true to JAOM, then rack it into new carboys and see where it's at.

Back