Ale Yeast with Small Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schematix

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with an ale yeast that ferments with a small krausen (like a lager yeast)? I like to ferment in 6G plastic bottles so I don't get a lot of head space.

US-05, 1450, 1272 all seem to blow out even when fermented on the cold side.

Any insight out there?

What is your OG, and mash profile? I do 1.060-70 all the time with us05 in a 6.5 and never get near the need to throw a blowoff tube on. But that's with IPAs and stouts.

1.055-1.060 OG. Hochkurz mash. I've got 6G bottles, not 6.5 glass, so big difference in regard to head space. I always need a blow off on ales, always.

1.055-1.060 OG. Hochkurz mash. I've got 6G bottles, not 6.5 glass, so big difference in regard to head space. I always need a blow off on ales, always.

Hmm. Yeah, big difference in headspace. But I never get near the 6 gallon mark with my krausen. Might be getting lucky, but I keep it at 72 degrees during ferm, so that helps keep things tempered.

How hot are your ferms running? Before I got into ferm temp control, I thought it was neat to watch a raging ferm (with blowoff), but since then, things stay nice and calm.

Hope I'm helping...

I use 6 gallon PET fermentors almost exclusively and always use a blowoff tube. What's wrong with letting it blow off?

You could minimize the krausen by under pitching and staying at the low end of the temperature range. You can also use a little Fermcap S to reduce the krausen.

Hmm. Yeah, big difference in headspace. But I never get near the 6 gallon mark with my krausen. Might be getting lucky, but I keep it at 72 degrees during ferm, so that helps keep things tempered.

How hot are your ferms running? Before I got into ferm temp control, I thought it was neat to watch a raging ferm (with blowoff), but since then, things stay nice and calm.

Hope I'm helping...

72 is high unless you are using Belgian yeast, then the waters get muddy on the best temperature.

Using WLP001 right now (California Ale in a 1.05ish pale ale) and it's producing incredibly clean and virtually no mess of krausen. It's a 3 gallon batch, but I cannot imagine it being scaled disproportionately.

I've had good (flavor) results with most ale yeasts at 64F. I went as low as 62 with US-05 and it was buttery, yet still blew off a quart. I've fermented US-05 and 1272 cleanly at the higher end of the range (72F) but it was very messy. Overall my question is about low maintenance and quick turn around. I don't like baby sitting it every day.

What I like about the lagers is that a raging lager krausen is 2". I just come back in 2 weeks and it's ready for a diacetyl rest, and a week later its ready for a keg. But then it's another 4 weeks after that until consumption.

I've had good (flavor) results with most ale yeasts at 64F. I went as low as 62 with US-05 and it was buttery, yet still blew off a quart. I've fermented US-05 and 1272 cleanly at the higher end of the range (72F) but it was very messy. Overall my question is about low maintenance and quick turn around. I don't like baby sitting it every day.

Not sure why using a blow off would affect quick turn around or require additional maintenance. When using better bottles I often have them more full than they probably should be. I hook up the blow off, and in 10-14 days when they are finished and clear package. No babysitting required .

I use Fermcap S and it does reduce the size of the krausen. I still use a blow off for the first few days to be safe.

Back