Ale Fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BergenBrew

Reaction score
First timer here. I've had my red ale fermenting in a bucket for 3 days now. For the first 2 days, the airlock bubbled like crazy but has stopped completely now. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? The bucket is in my basement which is a steady 64 degrees. Thanks!

Perfectly normal.. Just depends on the yeast.. A lot, especially dry yeast, go really hard for a day or so then no bubbles.. Still let it go the full tom in primary though... Some yeasts like some Belgian strains I've used will bubble much slower bit for up to a week... Definitely normal in your situation though!

pay no attention to the air lock. the only way to be sure is with a gravity check. my cellar is currently holding 2 batches at a fermentation temp at 60 and my airlock is barely moving but it is far from done.

That's pretty common.

Leave it alone and at peace to do its thing over the next 2-3 weeks, except to maybe watch the bubbles (which most of us still do sometimes).

Thanks for the help. I go down in the basement and stare at the bucket at least 5 times a day. Wife thinks I'm nuts. I'm hooked!

I'm an airlock sniffer. I feel so much better having admitted that.

BergenBrew said:
Thanks for the help. I go down in the basement and stair at the bucket at least 5 times a day. Wife thinks I'm nuts. I'm hooked!

I still do this on every brew. Makes me happy. My wife laughs every time I go into the basement where my ferm chamber is bc she knows why I'm going.

I assume you are not adding any further things to this beer. If not, give it about 3-4 weeks, check the gravity over a three day period to make sure there is no change, then bottle and leave alone at 70 degrees for 3 weeks. All will be good.

Latest posts

Back