Ale and food pairing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goose Island has some hoppy ales.
Something hoppy goes well with Goose which is rich and fatty.

ba.jpg

They've got Doppelbock paired with duck ... the other rich, fatty bird.
That sounds wonderful too.

They've got Doppelbock paired with duck ... the other rich, fatty bird.
That sounds wonderful too.

I want to try the IPA and carrot cake pairing one of these days...

I listened to a podcast about this chart with Randy Mosher and he raved about that pairing.
I never would have thought of that....

I agree with something big and hoppy, but you could also play off with how you're cooking it. If you're into Rauchbiers, that might play well with the roastiness of the meat. Are you doing any kind of glaze with it?

I dislike these charts and think their pairings are silly.

They take the old idea that white wine goes with fish and fruit and red wine goes with meats and pasta and apply it to beer.

I know every time I get spicy or heavy foods to eat, I get light, crisp, hoppy beers. Not oatmeal stout.

As to the OP - I would go with a pale ale or IPA with the goose, but could also go with a maltier option like a brown or mild. Something quaffable that complements your sauce / gravy and side dishes.

Goose is a game meat, like duck or pheasant. The meat is more dark than white and there is a decent amount of rich fat content.

Go with something fruity, funky, and complex with a little tang to it, like a Flanders Oud Bruin:

Oud Bruins, not restricted to, but concentrated in Flanders, are light to medium-bodied, deep copper to brown in colour. They are extremely varied, characterized by a slight vinegar or lactic sourness and spiciness to smooth and sweet. A fruity-estery character is apparent with no hop flavor or aroma. Low to medium bitterness. Very small quantities of diacetyl are acceptable. Roasted malt character in aroma and flavor is acceptable, at low levels. Oak-like or woody characters may be pleasantly integrated into overall palate.

Certain funky Saisons may work wonderfully, too. Fantome does this well.

I dislike these charts and think their pairings are silly.

They take the old idea that white wine goes with fish and fruit and red wine goes with meats and pasta and apply it to beer.

I know every time I get spicy or heavy foods to eat, I get light, crisp, hoppy beers. Not oatmeal stout.

This particular chart was made with the help of Randy Mosher he was on several different podcasts talking about it, and saying how wine actually pairs terribly with a lot of foods, and beer usually makes a better pairing.

I get what you are saying though I don't know about that pairing either, but I haven't tried it so IDK it might be good.

They do have IPA paired with spicy food as well.

I like to think of the chart as a loose guide.

So I am serving NC style pulled pork, beans, slaw and cornbread.

Pick a beer - Pilsner or Porter.

Chart says porter. Couldn't disagree more.

Randy Mosher he was on several different podcasts talking about it, and saying how wine actually pairs terribly with a lot of foods, and beer usually makes a better pairing.

I like Randy Mosher, cool dude... but I disagree with this ^.

Most beer lacks the tartness/acidity to clear fat off of the palate. That inherent acidity that most wines possess offers greater palate cleansing and complexity of flavor when consuming with food. If you take a good Chinon (Cab Franc) and drink it alone, you will sense more berry notes and less complexity. Throw some goat cheese in the mix, and you begin to experience deeper flavors that you wouldn't have tasted if you consumed them separately. You begin taste the barnyard funk, the hay, the deep oakiness (in a good way). The wine makes the food taste better, and the food makes the wine taste better. A lot of beer out there doesn't have the same give-and-take relationship with food in this respect. Eat the same piece of cheese with an IPA, a brown ale, or a stout, and that experience is lost.

That is not to say pairing beer with food is completely useless; however, pairing in this situation typically doesn't elevate the food nor the beer. Rather, it 1) enriches the main flavor by adding more of that flavor, e.g. Chocolate Stout with Chocolate Cake, or 2) rinses the palate with something refreshing and crisp, e.g. IPA with fatty bar food (which isn't really pairing).

More often than not, I'd rather be drinking beer without food (or with something small/bite food). Desserts tend to allow a better pairing with beer than savory foods. Nevertheless, beer is quite filling, especially since it's carbed. My beer experience is never as enjoyable when it is coupled with a full meal.

Back