Alcohol taste to my hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
I made a really simple Hefeweizen for my third batch and took a SG reading today and it came out to 1.016. It was in the primary for 2 weeks and is now in the secondary for only a couple days. I tasted the sample and it has an alcoholic aftertaste to it, kind of like I just sipped on some whiskey. It's not terrible, but noticeable to probably anyone to will drink it. Is this the fusel alcohol off flavors I hear about?

I used WLP300 Hefeweizen yeast (opt temp 68-72F), one vial that was only about 2 weeks old, and fermented at around 65-66F for the first 24 hours, then ramped it up to 68F at 48 hours, and then 70F for the second week. It blew off like crazy from 48-72 hours after I ramped up the temp. I did not use a starter, pitching rate was probably right around 0.35.

The temps I chose were fairly normal for this yeast, perhaps a little cold if anything which should give more clove flavor. Higher temps should give more banana flavor. I didn't detect any banana in the sample, but I am no beer tasting expert.

Here is my recipe below. Anyone know what might have gone wrong? Or is this normal? Will this flavor die off with bottle conditioning or more time in the secondary? I was planning on leaving it in the secondary for 2 weeks, then bottle.

Brew Method: Extract
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 2.75 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.025

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.051
ABV (standard): 4.94%
IBU (tinseth): 17.57
SRM (morey): 4.1

FERMENTABLES:
2 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Wheat (25%)
6 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Wheat - (late addition) (75%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Domestic Hallertau, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.3, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 16.84
1 oz - Domestic Hallertau, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.3, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 0.73

YEAST:
White Labs - Hefeweizen Ale Yeast WLP300
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 74%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 68 - 72 F

My first batch was an American wheat and I had the same flavor at the end. All the kick is gone now and they are smooth drinking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

It will probably finish near .012 when done, but the flavors you are noticing will dissipate during conditioning/carbonation. No need to secondary a hefeweizen. I like leaving it on the yeast cake until finished so the yeast can clean-up the by-products of fermentation which will give you a cleaner tasting hefe. Most hefeweizens produce off- flavors depending on fermentation temperatures more so than other yeasts. I believe the alcohol taste your referring too is normally caused by to high of fermentation temps.
Someone will chime in if I'm incorrect.

Many beers taste boozy at first. Bottle it up when you're sure fermentation is done and leave it for a few weeks. Then chill for at least a few days, try one to see how it's coming along, and repeat that process until you're satisfied with the flavor. Time heals many of the problems that we identify in our young beers.

Back