Alcohol taste problem in my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mknox4354

Reaction score
So I brewed this oatmeal stout and then added a little vodka which I had my vanilla beans soaking in. Just gave a little taste and I can really pick up on the alcohol from the vodka. I didn't think I really put enough in there to impart that flavor. Regardless of the fact that it was an error on my part. Do you guys think it will mellow out? I was sitting for about a month and then I kegged it. I tasted it about 2 weeks after it was kegged. Now I don't really remember getting this tasted when I tried it when it was warm. I guess the temp is bring out more of the alcohol and less of the flavor of the beer. Anyone else ever had this issue. Thank

I don't think a few oz to 5gals would contribute much to the flavor. What was your og and fg? Ferm temp, yeast type?

jfrank85 said:
I don't think a few oz to 5gals would contribute much to the flavor. What was your og and fg? Ferm temp, yeast type?

Og 1.058
Fg 1.015
Fern temp 66 degrees
Yeast safale s-04

Did you try your beer before adding the vodka? It's possible your fermentation got carried away and the solvent smell is from the beer and not the vodka. A few ounces of vodka shouldn't be noticeable in 5 gallons of beer, especially something like an oatmeal stout.

Although if you used McCormick's, that's another story. Your beer is now good for stripping oil off your driveway.

Yes I did try it before and it tasted fine and no I didn't use McCormicks

Back