Alch teading.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrchaos101

Reaction score
If you dont get an measurnent at the start....is there any way to tell the Ahlc content on a finished wine?

There is a fun little glass thingy called a vinometer that will give you a ballpark guess. There is expensive test equipment as well. Way above my pay grade.
If you know how many pounds of suger you added per galleon you can make a math guess. Easier if you have a good guess of the suger content of your juice as a starting point.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

If you started with a "normal" mix of fruit, sugar, water and yeast and you let it ferment as far as it could, the best guess you could get is that it is somewhere between 11 and 13 percent alcohol.

That's kind of the normal level of alcohol that occurs simply by nature.

If you need to be more precise, you need the starting gravity and the ending gravity (or the info from the other post above).

Thank you. My first batch was strong enough to put my buddies wif on her butt with only 2 glasses. Ill try to be better down the road.

You can use the discrepancy of a refractometer and hydrometer to estimate alcohol in a wine without knowing the initial sugar content of the must. via the formula A = 0.833A.R. − 0.996A.H. + 3.927 where A is alcohol content, A.R. is apparent refractometer Brix, and A.H. is apparent hydrometer Brix.

See "A Novel Approach for Estimating Sugar and Alcohol Concentrations in Wines Using Refractometer and Hydrometer" by H.S. Son, Y.S. Hong, W.M. Park, M.A. Yu, and C.H. Lee; Journal of Food Science Volume 74, Issue 2, pages C106–C111, March 2009
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...sCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

You can use the discrepancy of a refractometer and hydrometer to estimate alcohol in a wine without knowing the initial sugar content of the must. via the formula A = 0.833A.R. − 0.996A.H. + 3.927 where A is alcohol content, A.R. is apparent refractometer Brix, and A.H. is apparent hydrometer Brix.

See "A Novel Approach for Estimating Sugar and Alcohol Concentrations in Wines Using Refractometer and Hydrometer" by H.S. Son, Y.S. Hong, W.M. Park, M.A. Yu, and C.H. Lee; Journal of Food Science Volume 74, Issue 2, pages C106–C111, March 2009
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...sCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

And Ill bet it comes out somewhere between 11 and 13%

Back