Al Grain brewing, Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillshinen

Reaction score
I have finished my first all grain IPA (Anderson Valley Hop Ottin) and it turned out better than expected.

I missed checking the OG and noticed that i don't have a schedule on different times on when i should check.

Therefore, when do most brewers check the Gravity and at what stage in the brewing process?

I check my first runnings, pre boil and post boil then ignore it for usually two weeks then depending on how close I am to projected fg depends on how often I check. I use buckets with spigots so checking is easy and indroduces little chance of infection. I checked as little as possible with carboys because I didn't like having to stick a thief in and possibly indroduce an infection.

I check pre pitch to see my efficiency than after that depending fermenting temps I don't check.
When I do check for final gravity I tie a piece of teflon tape to the hydrometer and lower it in, sanitized of course, and using carboys. If using a bucket I would justputthe hydrometer in and pull it out with my fingers.

I check pre boil to establish my efficiency and know more precisely how much exactly I have to boil down. Again post boil to verify my starting gravity and a final time when I keg.

I check my first runnings, pre boil and post boil then ignore it for usually two weeks then depending on how close I am to projected fg depends on how often I check. I use buckets with spigots so checking is easy and indroduces little chance of infection. I checked as little as possible with carboys because I didn't like having to stick a thief in and possibly indroduce an infection.

That makes a lot of sense. I got 65% effiency the my batch and tightened up the grind a bit to see if i can improve 10+%. I am brewing a batch this weekend so i will you know.

Thanks

Back