Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FadeToBeer

Reaction score
img_20191206_154903200-jpg.655819
Did my first boil yesterday. Everything seemed pretty straight forward after watching some videos and reading through the included instructions (Hanks hefeweizen extract kit ) . After attaching the airlock it started to bubble fairly quick. Last night the airlock was 3/4 full on one side . This morning there is much less liquid in the airlock. Anything to worry about ? Should I be adding diluted starsan as the airlock fluid gets lower ? Is this due to my RH only being around 30% (evaporation)?
img_20191207_084707787-jpg.655820

I've never used that style of airlock but there shouldnt be less liquid in there. Did you move the bucket ? That could suck the liquid into the fermenter, at least with the other type airlock it does. Another reason it will suck back is if the temp drops quite a bit .

Other than moving bucket from brewing area (kitchen) to fermenting area (basement) that was it . I had a 2 degree basement temp fluctuation from last night - this morning . Last night before bed I had some starsan bubbling out of the airlock , not much but a few bubbles coming out from under the red cap .

Should I add a little distilled water to the airlock ? or mix up a little starsan and add that to airlock ?

Or

Leave it be for today and just keep checking that it doesn't lose anymore ?

You may have caused it to suck back when you moved it. Anytime I move a FV like that I put on the airlock on once its placed where it will ferment. You can add some starsan . If it drains again you might have a faulty airlock

I'm used to the three-piece.
shopping
It'll only lose liquid in it if, as mentioned, the container gets moved. I crack the lid now if I need to move it.
I would add Starsan to the proper level (or vodka) and keep an eye on it. For what it's worth, I've never had an issue with a 2° temp change.

I just noticed that there is liquid in the stem w/bubbles going through that area . It certainly has "sucked back" as you called it and not bubbled out of the top. hopefully this doesn't ruin my batch .

Ughh! this problem! and my Anvil Fermentor Bucket that arrived today had a huge dent in it ! :(

Oh man that sucks about the dent . Hopefully they will send you another quickly . As long as you have liquid in it nasties cant get in . Just add starsan and you'll be fine .

If you had a very vigorous fermentation it might have blown some liquid out the top. There will have been some evaporation, but not that much. If any got sucked back into the bucket there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Starsan properly diluted is not dangerous and that tiny amount in your beer is next to nothing. If it gets lower add a little more to the airlock.

I pulled the red cap off the airlock and as soon as I did the starsan in the stem fell into bucket. Not wanting to mix a gallon of starsan, I added a few drops of vodka to the airlock .

Im not a fan of vodka , taste or smell , so hopefully it stays in the airlock

Only at about 30hrs of fermentation

You will be fine if liquid gets sucked back in. You will be amazed at how minimal of an impact starsan (a reasonable amount) has on a 5 gallon batch. Just make sure you have a solid barrier of liquid when fermentation slows down. It will be producing enough right now to push out any harmful air.

cheers and good luck! Hopefully you get a replacement anvil soon. Let us know how the beer turns out.

i don't think snake(SP?) air locks worry about sucks back, it'd just bubble the opposite direction...i'd say that was potent starsan and foamed out....??? just my two cents

Last batch of Hank s fermented at 66 became 'quite vigorous ' and blew the water out of the airlock just like you. I added cheap vodka because it did not bubble as much as starsan solution so did not blow out as much.

You can have suckback in an S airlock if the temperature decreases substantially. That could have happened but if fermentation kicked off you can also have the pressure push the starsan out or cause it to foam and foam out.

You should be cooling wort before dumping it into the bucket which would help avoid suckback. With foam or starsan getting blown out you can't do anything about it but refill the airlock. It happens with aggressive fermentation. Keep an eye on your fermentation vessels the first few days to make sure you don't need to top the airlock.

You can have suckback in an S airlock if the temperature decreases substantially. That could have happened but if fermentation kicked off you can also have the pressure push the starsan out or cause it to foam and foam out.

You should be cooling wort before dumping it into the bucket which would help avoid suckback. With foam or starsan getting blown out you can't do anything about it but refill the airlock. It happens with aggressive fermentation. Keep an eye on your fermentation vessels the first few days to make sure you don't need to top the airlock.

I've quit using StarSan in my airlock because of this. I don't have a problem with suckback because I don't cold crash so water suffices in my airlock.

These are great replies and I thank you all .

Day 3 of fermentation - Airlock liquid has remained steady since adding the vodka. Not as much co2 bubbles coming up through the airlock and not seeing any major foaming inside the bucket . Not wanting to open my bucket, just crossing fingers that everything is happy inside .

Items used for this brew:
Hanks hefeweizen extract kit from northern brewer
SafAle WB-06 dry yeast.

In one of your pics you have bubbles in the bucket side of the airlock, but most of the liquid in the exit side. Not sure what to make of that. If you had airflow going back into the bucket most of the liquid should be in the bucket side. I've had that happen when I added 100+ degree wort to a fermenter and then put the airlock on before chilling down the rest of the way to pitching temp. Even in that situation, the bucket side of the airlock filled up, but was only the bubble wall's worth of starsan that was actually going back into the fermenter. Now I cover it with foil till it is all the way chilled, so it is just air and no starsan going in, but as others said, that amount of starsan is really nothing anyway.

I first did Hanks "Hefe" (I don't think it technically is a Hefe) as a kit and have done it more times with bulk ingredients; one of my favorites. The fermentation can definitely go on that one. When I have that much starsan in the airlock, about two thirds of it will bubble out quickly, but then the level will almost stop dropping from there. I top it off a little every now and then, but if you fill it up to 3/4 full again, it will bubble out again.

You can use vodka for little or no bubbling, but seems like a waste of money just for airlock media to me. Maybe if you are going out of town and won't be able to check on it for a week.

These are great replies and I thank you all .

Day 3 of fermentation - Airlock liquid has remained steady since adding the vodka. Not as much co2 bubbles coming up through the airlock and not seeing any major foaming inside the bucket . Not wanting to open my bucket, just crossing fingers that everything is happy inside .

Items used for this brew:
Hanks hefeweizen extract kit from northern brewer
SafAle WB-06 dry yeast.

It appears to be fermenting normally. Patience. I would go to at least day 14 before doing anything more than topping up the airlock if necessary. Others take great pains to rush things and get there beer done in less time - not worth the effort, IMO.

In one of your pics you have bubbles in the bucket side of the airlock, but most of the liquid in the exit side. Not sure what to make of that. If you had airflow going back into the bucket most of the liquid should be in the bucket side. I've had that happen when I added 100+ degree wort to a fermenter and then put the airlock on before chilling down the rest of the way to pitching temp. Even in that situation, the bucket side of the airlock filled up, but was only the bubble wall's worth of starsan that was actually going back into the fermenter. Now I cover it with foil till it is all the way chilled, so it is just air and no starsan going in, but as others said, that amount of starsan is really nothing anyway.

I first did Hanks "Hefe" (I don't think it technically is a Hefe) as a kit and have done it more times with bulk ingredients; one of my favorites. The fermentation can definitely go on that one. When I have that much starsan in the airlock, about two thirds of it will bubble out quickly, but then the level will almost stop dropping from there. I top it off a little every now and then, but if you fill it up to 3/4 full again, it will bubble out again.

You can use vodka for little or no bubbling, but seems like a waste of money just for airlock media to me. Maybe if you are going out of town and won't be able to check on it for a week.

I did a ice bath in the sink for 30 minutes . Never checked my temp before dumping into fermentation bucket. After I checked the OG I decided to give the wort a taste . It was at or below room temp. Certainly not 100 degrees or even warm . After this I sprinkled the yeast on top of the wort.

As for vodka , I hate it but the wife likes it, so we always have it on hand. I added a few drops to the airlock and everything seems stable for the last 24hrs :) .

Back