Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodeno

Reaction score
At a week about how many seconds should I see between "pops" in my airlock?

Thanks

As many as there are. Airlock activity is not a sign of fermentation. If you are curious if the beer is done then just take a hydrometer sample and that will be much more accurate.

Wow thats like asking how many times should I pee in a day! lol I think there are lots of things that will be a factor like style of beer, yeast, temp, aeration. I started mine on Sunday and I get a bubble around once every 20 sec or so.
This was a pale ale using WLP001 at 65 degree's

As many as there are. Airlock activity is not a sign of fermentation. If you are curious if the beer is done then just take a hydrometer sample and that will be much more accurate.

+1 invest in a hydrometer and you'll have a much better idea of the progression of your beers. Good luck!

Well,barring any leaks in the fermenter,when the rapid bubbling slows or stops only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep dpwn to FG...however long that takes for a particular batch. Then give it another 3-7 days in primary to clean up any by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then package. And a hydrometer @ $5.99 is a worth-while investment.:mug:

Thanks, all. This is my first batch so I really for have a clue... I am seeing the bubbles evey 20 second, but like it has been stated, it doesn't mean much. I didn't know it was okay to open up and take a reading...

Hey Rodeno.. as others have said.. invest in a hydrometer. Once you have it, check it against distilled water at the proper temperature. Some hydrometers are set at different standards than others. All of mine are at 60*F. The next thing that would be good for you to know is..
1. What should my Original Gravity be? (OG) You'll see OG and FG in the discussions.
2. What was my OG?
3. What should my Final Gravity be? (FG)
4. What is my current gravity. Is it close to what it should be?

If so.. even if there are no bubbles.. as UNIONDR mentioned.. let it sit for another few days to clean up byproducts created by the yeast beasts. If it's not there.. let it go for two more days to see if it drops. If it doesn't drop it may be complete and just won't hit the expected FG. Could be for a number of reasons.

So, that's the story on a hydrometer. Hope it helps.. there are good references online about these critters..
HERE is a pretty self explanatory video on YouTube

1. What should my Original Gravity be? (OG) You'll see OG and FG in the discussions.
2. What was my OG?

Other than OG I would only use those things to gauge how well things went after the fact. You might want to know your OG if you plan on making adjustments before fermentation starts unless you used extract. In the case of extract it is pretty easy to not mix it well enough to get a useful reading.

As far as FG, it's done when it's done. You take a reading at the end and then you know it it turned out how you expected.

You can open it up and take a reading any time you want. Just make sure you sanitize anything that will touch the wort/beer. A spray bottle of Star San solution works great for small things like this.

Hey Rodeno.. as others have said.. invest in a hydrometer. Once you have it, check it against distilled water at the proper temperature. Some hydrometers are set at different standards than others. All of mine are at 60*F. The next thing that would be good for you to know is..
2. What was my OG?

If so.. even if there are no bubbles.. as UNIONDR mentioned.. let it sit for another few days to clean up byproducts created by the yeast beasts. If it's not there.. let it go for two more days to see if it drops. If it doesn't drop it may be complete and just won't hit the expected FG. Could be for a number of reasons.

So, that's the story on a hydrometer. Hope it helps.. there are good references online about these critters..
HERE is a pretty self explanatory video on YouTube

Thanks for the mention,but that's "UNIONRDR" (union rodder),not "UNIONDR" (union doctor)...

Thanks, all. This is my first batch so I really for have a clue... I am seeing the bubbles evey 20 second, but like it has been stated, it doesn't mean much. I didn't know it was okay to open up and take a reading...

Yeah, it fires pretty frequently during primary fermentation. Suprised it never bubbles even more frequently.

And as others have said, get yourself a hydrometer. When the bubbling stops (or is rare), check the FG. When you reach 2 consecutive readings of the same on non-consecutive days (most people say check the FG every other day), fermentation should be done. Then it doesn't hurt to let it sit a few days to clean up.

Back