Airlock still busy at 16 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterZ

Reaction score
Wondering if this is normal activity or suspicious for some other gas producing organism. it's a 5 gallon batch with 15 lbs honey, 2 pkts of D-47 and energizer / nutrient to start. On day 4 added 1.5 tsp nutrient / energizer. Have not messed with it otherwise. Airlock popping every 4-5 seconds still. This is my second batch, and my first was fed on days 2 and 3 but it's airlock activity did not go near as long. I have a concern about that batch as well, but that's another issue.

Ten seconds after I post this I see that someone just asked the same question. Please ignore the silly man with the redundant question ;)

Wondering if this is normal activity or suspicious for some other gas producing organism. it's a 5 gallon batch with 15 lbs honey, 2 pkts of D-47 and energizer / nutrient to start. On day 4 added 1.5 tsp nutrient / energizer. Have not messed with it otherwise. Airlock popping every 4-5 seconds still. This is my second batch, and my first was fed on days 2 and 3 but it's airlock activity did not go near as long. I have a concern about that batch as well, but that's another issue.

Ten seconds after I post this I see that someone just asked the same question. Please ignore the silly man with the redundant question ;)

Often, I add more nutrients as fermentation progresses, up to about 1.040 or so. If you haven't added more nutrients, or stirred it at all, it will go slower. I would say 16 days would not be surprising if you're not "pampering" it a little with stirring/degassing or adding more nutrients.

Yooper said:
Often, I add more nutrients as fermentation progresses, up to about 1.040 or so.

Thanx for the input. I popped the top and I'm at 1.021, so I covered it back up. Now I just have to be patient. That's the hardest part!

Thanx for the input. I popped the top and I'm at 1.021, so I covered it back up. Now I just have to be patient. That's the hardest part!
A lot of people come to meads from beer and they also learn that with meads, if you get one that finishes quickly, its a total result, only to find that a lot of recipes taste bloody horrible when young.

The patience will really come to be necessary when you're at the aging stage. 6 months minimum is a real PITA, but wait until you have one that takes a couple of years to come good........ :rockin:

fatbloke said:
The patience will really come to be necessary when you're at the aging stage.

If I had -anything- in a bottle that didn't come from the beer store, waiting would be easier!

Back