Airlock overflow. Did I do the right thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italynstallyn44

Reaction score
I transfered an American Wheat to Primary on Thursday, when I woke up this morning, the airlock was overflowing with krausen. I think I could it fairly early because nothing had dripped down the sides of the primary yet, just some on the lid. After panicking a bit, (this is the first time this has happened to me) I yanked the airlock out of the lid, covered the lid with aluminum foil, and grabbed an old siphoning tube, stuck it in the grommet (fit pretty snug) and put the other end in a bucket half filled with star-san. Was this the right thing to do? Do you think I risk any contamination?

The krausen was still actively coming out of the lid/airlock, so I couldn't simply put the airlock back on, or I would have just run into the same problem.

You're fine. You have to keep in mind that if stuff is coming out of the fermenter, it's going to be difficult for anything to get in. Just wait for the krausen to start falling back, and pop your sanitized airlock back in.

Latest posts

Back