Airlock Compromised?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwayne1521

Reaction score
I started a batch on Saturday morning. The airlock looked fine for about the first 24 hours. Since then it has had those air bubbles on the inside of the tube. I've brewed about 5 batches so far and none of them have had the bubbles all over the inside of the tube. What causes that? Is it anything to be concerned with? Thanks.

20130527_120921.jpg

That's just water/ethanol vapor that has condensed in the tube. Probably because of a pretty good flow of carbon dioxide that entrained some vapor as it exited the fermenter. No worries.

Ok, thank you. I have another batch going in the same room right now too and it didn't have that issue so I was curious what made one do that and the other not.

I think it is indeed a very active fermentartion that causes the condensation inside the center tube. My Berlin wheat's been going like a percolator for two days steady,& it has the same thing.

Back