Airlock alchoholic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosegrease

Reaction score
Put my first mead into primary Saturday,pitched two packs of rehydrated K1-v116 at 70 degrees. Was very surprised at the speed and vigor of the fermentation, the airlock was like a machine gun. I am used to the airlock emissions smelling good ( ya know like hops and sweet wort). I finally shut the door because of the slightly unpleasent odor. At first it had the barest hint of sulpher, got on line and read, learned that my yeasties needed fed. Now the emissions seem very alchoholic.
So should I;
A. Worry
B. Relax don't worry ect.
C. Learn more before starting

B & C.........

It's normal not to add inorganic nitrogen source after the 1/3rd sugar break (your hydrometer is your friend and its mead not beer).

If you can track down any fermaidO (not K), failing that, some boiled bread yeast may help.

My lhbs had wyeast wine nutrient, fed the little devils some of that, and sulphur odor went away, now it just smells alchoholic. Thanks for the information. :)
Jim

Back