Airlock activity only lasted short hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's more likely that fermentation actually wasn't finished and continued in the bottles. If so, there's not a lot that you can do except chill them very well and crack them open a little to relieve pressure. Still might gush.

It's more likely that fermentation actually wasn't finished and continued in the bottles. If so, there's not a lot that you can do except chill them very well and crack them open a little to relieve pressure. Still might gush.

I was thinking is it because of my re-pitching? The gravity did get stuck at 1.030 then i re-pitched, and before I bottle it was 1.014.

Note to self: Make sure to take multiple gravity readings in a row before bottling.

How much volume did you bottle and what amount of priming sugar did you use and how did you combine priming sugar and beer to bottle? I'm wondering if overcarbed.

Anything visibly floating in beer? I'm thinking if hop material there, or anything at all really, it give nucleation sites for CO2 to immediately come out of solution and start a cascade effect.

How much volume did you bottle and what amount of priming sugar did you use and how did you combine priming sugar and beer to bottle? I'm wondering if overcarbed.

Anything visibly floating in beer? I'm thinking if hop material there, or anything at all really, it give nucleation sites for CO2 to immediately come out of solution and start a cascade effect.

Since I didn’t hit my target volume at the beginning, I only got around 16 to start with.

Then I boiled 3.5L of water with 90g of table sugar. Let cool and pour it into my second bucket. I then siphon from my primary bucket, and the tube goes to the bottom of the second bucket. Minus the trub loss I think 13L got into my second bucket.

I got a bottling tube with valve. I filled each 330ml bottle with the whole tube in until the beer reaches the top, when I pull it out it leaves around 1-2inch head space.

There isn’t much floating after bottling. Just a number of bubbles.

The beer isn’t particularly clear though, once settled there’s still a layer of residue.

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

You shouldn't need 3.5 L water to prepare priming sugar, a cup should do, about .25 L. But 90g is not too much for 16L fermented at about room temp

You shouldn't need 3.5 L water to prepare priming sugar, a cup should do, about .25 L. But 90g is not too much for 16L fermented at about room temp

Maybe I should let them chill in the fridge for a couple more days.

I found that when I tried to release the pressure, carbon bubbles will be formed at the bottom around the sediment and lift them up causing the chain reaction to gush in the whole bottle.

Here’s the result [emoji1]

Turns out quite good apart from a little bit over carbed

It feels a bit stronger than the calculated ABV

Thank you everyone for the help!

IMG_3068.JPG

Back