Airlock Activity 3 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartangreen

Reaction score
I am still getting a bubble about once every 10 seconds out of my airlock and it's been three weeks.
Does anybody know why? Is this normal?

Hefeweizen (Brewing Classic Styles book, the extract version OG 1.052)
While Labs WLP300 yeast with a starter.
Fermented at 62deg per the recipe.

I typically brew all grain, and I decided to do a "extract" batch while I was mashing in another beer.
The all grain beer I brewed on the same day has been done for 1 1/2 weeks. (1,055 OG) This beer was fermented at 67deg per the recipe.

Airlock activity is not a sign of fermentation. It could be off gassing or differentials in temperature.

Only by taking a reading of SG over a few days will tell you the yeasts activity.

Airlock activity is not a sign of fermentation. It could be off gassing or differentials in temperature.

Only by taking a reading of SG over a few days will tell you the yeasts activity.

That was my primary question...Why is the "extract" still exhibiting airlock activity and the "all-grain" batch not?
Just seems odd.
Both have been stored at the same temperature following primary fermentation.

Is there more off gassing with extract batches?

That's the problem with fermentation, it's an organic process. We can do the exact same thing every time but the results can be different. Perhaps there is more particulate or less particulate in the young beer that change the nucleation of the CO2 escaping. Has most of the yeast/break dropped out?

That's the problem with fermentation, it's an organic process. We can do the exact same thing every time but the results can be different. Perhaps there is more particulate or less particulate in the young beer that change the nucleation of the CO2 escaping. Has most of the yeast/break dropped out?

The yeast has dropped all that it is going to for a Hefeweizen. It's ready to keg, gravity is on target and constant.

Back