Air pocket in harvested test tube yeast cake (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicMatt

Brewmathemagician
Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me figure this out tonight. I've got some air bubbles in my yeast 'cake' of my test tubes - but only in 1 of the 2 vials that came from that harvest.

It's Wyeast 1217 (3rd generation harvest from starter overbuild) and I've never seen this happen before. It's making me think there could be some other nasties in there (infection prone). Not sure if it matters, but I only noticed the bubbles once the tubes had been sitting out for an hour or so. I don't remember seeing them when they were cold.

Should I toss the one presumably compromised vial and cut my losses?

First pic is when I took them out of the fridge, and I can't really see any air bubbles (it's the one on the right).

Edit: Sorry for the large photos.

2016-01-05 21.59.34.jpg

2016-01-05 22.42.27.jpg

2016-01-05 22.42.41.jpg

Screw it, RDWHAHB right? I just pitched both vials. If it smells or looks funky I'll just spend the $7 on a fresh pack.

This thread can be deleted if desired.

I can't figure out how to delete it so I will reply. Ha just kidding.
I think you have CO2 trapped in that thick yeast slurry.
The only way to know for sure is a trial fermentation but it sounds like you just did that. [emoji28]

I would think it's just thick compact slurry and the co2 is having a hard time escaping. I'd say you're good.

Back