Air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickey87123

Reaction score
Im brewing my first batch of cider and i think it's going ok but just wondering what is classed has a good bubble in the air lock, ( how often ) should I see them ?

The answer will vary depending on yeast used, size of FV, temperature at which you are fermenting, quality/type of juice being used. After 24 hrs, I had a bubble/burp per second in 24 hrs at 70 degrees F. This bubbling continued for a few days, then slowed and is non existent after a month.

I'm doing a small 1 gallon batch in a large25 ltr fermenting tub , I used gervin wine yeast and very cheap juice . It's been about 18 hours and I have a bubble every 30 secs. Is this bad lol ??

I believe you are right on target. :) You should not expect major airlock activity, but should be able to monitor the yeast doing their job in the carboy. The cooler the ambient temperature, the slower the fermentation. Cheers!

Back