Air Lock Launch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BornOnFlagDay

Reaction score
--Glanced through the FAQs and didn't see anyone else with this query--

We did our first boil last night. I noticed this morning that the airlock had popped off the plastic carboy and some foam overflowed a little. We just sanitized another bung and hose to set up a blow-off deal. I was wondering what could have caused this.

There was a reasonable amount of space left in the carboy, so I don't think we used too much water. However, I did airlock the carboy before I carried it (gently) downstairs to sit in the dark, not after like Palmer says. Could that jostling create enough pressure to shoot off the air lock?

I assume we still have fermentation since it is bubbling consistently, but will the exposure to oxygen overnight kill the batch or mess with taste at all?

It's fine, the bung and airlock was likely just pushed off because it was wet and not seated properly, they will slide a bit until they dry.

The batch will be okay, the rate at which the brew is creating co2 right now there is hardly a chance that any oxygen reached the beer. No worries.

Very little oxygen got in the beer, since it is producing carbon dioxide furiously, most everything is being pushed OUT. There is a layer of CO2 floating on the top surface as well (heavier than air), so no worries
Think about temperature control - your beer will quickly get 10F warmer than the air around it - producing a vigorous ferment, but also producing off-flavors.

welcome to HBT!

Thanks for the input.

Are there any tricks for temperature control? I read something about a wet towel around the carboy.

There is no AC in the basement, so we would have to get creative.

I have experienced this with my first brew. The foam (krausen) can't compress. It clogged the air lock which causes pressure to build until it pops the air lock out. Since you had foam come out after the air lock and bung popped out I would use a blow off tube until the foam subsides. Don't worry there is enough off gassing nothing should have gotten in there. The bedr will be fine. Are you brewing 1 gallon or 5 gallon batches?

easiest, cheapest -
set fermenter into tub of water (wally world 'rope-handle' tub) - maintain temps around 65F by floating frozen water bottles around sides of fermenter. Exchange daily or as needed.

As you brew, you may invest in more sophisticated methods - dedicated refrigerators, or home-built systems...

A water-bath method works well - water has a large thermal mass, and will absorb the heat of fermenting and minimize fluctuations. However, it is more work to regulate than refrigeration systems.

Air-exchange methods (refrigerator) will require the thermo-regulator to be taped to the side of the fermenter and insulated, (or use a thermowell) so you measure the temps of the beer and not the surrounding air.

I ruined two batches in my new apartment because the ambient temperature was so high. I put my bucket in a rubbermaid, filled it a few inches with water and "dressed it" in an old t-shirt with the bottom of the shirt in the water. I put a fan next to the rubbermaid on a box so that the brew bucket would get decent airflow. Shirt wicked up water, fan evaporated the water, I used a pitcher and poured it over the bucket when I thought to, and the bucket stayed at a pretty consistent 68 degrees.

The amazing part was that SWMBO didn't complain one bit. Perks of being with someone who loves beer!

Back