Air Lock Blew Off Overnight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjb4512

Reaction score
So, I see there are a number of threads already posted, but I decided it would be a good time to make my first post. I'm still a nube and only on my 8th batch. I brewed an Extra IPA, slightly under 5 gallons, with an OG of 1.076 and placed into a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. I pitched Cooper's dry yeast (which I also have questions about as I've never used this yeast before) when the wort chilled to 66. Fermentation kicked off easily within 24 hours. I looked last night and krausen had formed to around 5 inches or so. This was a bit higher than usual, but nothing that I was worried about......until this morning when I checked on it before I came in to work. The airlock had blown off and krausen was coming out of the carboy. :smack: I rushed quickly to clean and sanitize the airlock and placed it back on the carboy which began to bubble away again immediately. I was in too much of a hurry to take pictures, so I do apologize for not providing photographic evidence; however, my concern is that I may have lost the batch since it sat overnight. I would just like to know if anyone else has lost a batch due to this problem? And, what are the likely causes? Should I be happy I created such a great host environment for my beasties?

Thanks for any suggestions/revelations! Cheers!!:rockin:
-BJB

I doubt any harm came to your batch from popping the airlock overnight. Given the vast amount of gas and krausen output i doubt anything could have gotten in to contaminate it.

As for what caused it I would say the krausen stopped up the airlock and then too much pressure pushed the whole airlock out.

My guess is you've still got a perfectly good beer fermenting there so just let it sit and do its thing.

I think we need to have t-shirts for the blown-off air lock club. Mine was on a stout and there are still some brown stains on the ceiling in the basement.

With all the out-gassing you likely have no worries of infection.

For this problem I suggest starting EVERY fermentation with a blow-off tube set up. You don't even have to change to an airlock at all if you don't want to.

I think we need to have t-shirts for the blown-off air lock club. Mine was on a stout and there are still some brown stains on the ceiling in the basement.

Darn, I don't get a t-shirt. I found this site before my second batch and have used a blow-off tube on every batch since.

The only cleanup I have had to do is a little sponging when my overflow went over the side of the pot my catch container was in.

When I just finished up my new chamber and had a major Blowup, what a mess. I had a small head space and yes I did blow the lid off. The Brew tasted great though. I use blow off tubes and old Nalgene bottles, with 1/4 filled with Starsan, not another problem.

I'm glad to know that I'm in good company. I have definitely learned a lesson and will be using a blow-off tube from now on. I should've done more research before hand about the explosive fermentation potential of the Imperial IPAs. I can't imagine blowing the lid off a bucket.... that sounds like a good challenge if I wasn't afraid of risking everything :cross:

We've never popped an airlock before - but we did have a runover of the blowoff jar/tube, what a sticky mess! :)

A lot of beer is still fermented in open vats. I don't think you'll have any problems with your overnight free-for-all.

Welcome to the board!

We really do need to come up with a new rule: you're not allowed to post "my airlock / bucket lid blew off" threads without pictures of the carnage.

Yes, your beer will be fine.

We really do need to come up with a new rule: you're not allowed to post "my airlock / bucket lid blew off" threads without pictures of the carnage.

Yes, your beer will be fine.

Unfortunately, I was already running late for work and time just wouldn't allow me to snap a picture...I was scrambling to scrub the airlock and sanitize it before running out the door without any of my stuff... I April fooled myself. From other pictures I've seen, it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. Just a little "drizzle" down the top of the carboy. Should anything unfortunate happen again, rest assured I will post pictures.

Thanks, Lando! Seems to be the consensus. My nerves are easing a bit.

My Mr. Beer LBK almost exploded last week - I caught it just in time. There's no way to rig a blow-off tube on a stock LBK. I went out and bought 5/8" OD/ 1/2" ID tubing to turn one of my airlocks into a blow-off rig for my bucket, though. Next I'm going to drill and grommet the LBK lid.

With the LBK I wound up just having to leave the lid sitting on top loose for a while. The krausen just knocked it off. It finally calmed down during the day. I seriously doubt anything could get in while all that stuff was coming out.

+1 on "no pics" never happened..
Need to verify the Carnage.. and and realize I don't have to clean it up.
wonder about my fermentation temps, worry it's infected, search for a swamp cooler. verify my thermometer's accuracy, curse the aquarium tape glued to the side of my bucket.

My currently fermenting American brown blew tons of "stuff" through the airlock and lifted about a 1/3 of the bucket lid. Just snapped the lid back in place and refilled the airlock with StarSan. Don't sweat it at all, open fermenting has been going on for hundreds of years with very few fatalities.

Back