AHS Smithwick's recipe details

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChemicalBrew

Reaction score
Anybody brew this clone from Austin Homebrew Supply that can give details of the recipe? I just ordered it, but I would like to know what exactly the extracts, specialty grains and hops are that it contains. As far as I could find AHS doesn't give recipe details like some other suppliers do.

Well, my order arrived so I can answer this myself. I wasn't going to bother, but somebody else may be interested at some time, so here it is.

7 lbs. Extra Pale Malt Extract
8 oz. Crystal 60L
4 oz. Crystal 90L
1 oz. Challenger (1/2 @ 60, 1/2 @ 15)
1 oz. UK Fuggles (1/2 @ 15, 1/4 @ 5)
Wyeast Irish Ale 1084

Yep, you got it, LME it is. Brewed this last night and I'm hoping for a good result. This one is for my wife who really likes Smithwick's. Happy wife, happy life. I'm fermenting at 63F with a swamp cooler for the first time. I have usually fermented in the high sixties, but hope to see the improvement with the lower temps on this one.

Gotta say, I'm disappointed in the color on this one. It doesn't have that deep red color I expected, more of an amber. It's at 1.016 at 14 days and still pretty cloudy. Taste is ok on my FG sample.

I guess looking at the calculated SRM for this grain/extract bill I should have expected that. Didn't do that before brewing but I see that now. If I make this again, should I switch to an amber extract instead of the pale? What other changes to get that deep red Smithwick's color?

I did a little research and playing around with a brew calculator and I think doubling the amount of steeping grains would get me there. I might even change the crystal 90L to 120L.

Latest posts

Back