AHS is awesome and yeast viability?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryush806

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So last week I was supposed to get an order from AHS which was somehow screwed up. I called them and they shipped out my order again that day and I got it two days later. AHS is pretty awesome just because of that! :rockin:

I found out today that they had shipped it to my old address for some reason (I checked the order and I did have my new address on there so who knows?). I picked up the first shipment and called AHS to see if they wanted to send me a return label and they said to enjoy another 5 gallons! Pretty sweet! :mug:

Anyway, just wanted to get my praise in for the great customer service at Austin Homebrew Supply! Now I have a packet of Wyeast Weihenstephaner from the first order that has sat in the 100 degree heat for the past week. Think it's worth a shot or has it been too hot for too long?

Make a starter and see what happens. You can always use some of the Slurry from the first 5 gallons if you need to.

So last week I was supposed to get an order from AHS which was somehow screwed up. I called them and they shipped out my order again that day and I got it two days later. AHS is pretty awesome just because of that! :rockin:

I found out today that they had shipped it to my old address for some reason (I checked the order and I did have my new address on there so who knows?). I picked up the first shipment and called AHS to see if they wanted to send me a return label and they said to enjoy another 5 gallons! Pretty sweet! :mug:

Anyway, just wanted to get my praise in for the great customer service at Austin Homebrew Supply! Now I have a packet of Wyeast Weihenstephaner from the first order that has sat in the 100 degree heat for the past week. Think it's worth a shot or has it been too hot for too long?

bkl63 said:
Make a starter and see what happens. You can always use some of the Slurry from the first 5 gallons if you need to.

Hey that's a pretty good idea. I guess I could just rack the 2nd batch right in top. Would that mess with the clove/banana flavors to have a higher pitching rate like that?

They had issues last week. My order went to my old address. I caught it the day it was scheduled for delivery and the had UPS re-route it. Got it today as well as new yeast from them for all three recipes. Think I'm going to be lazy and just pitch both vails instead of making a starter.

While you could just Rack out of the primary and add the cooled Wort right back in. You would be over pitching. Using 1/4 of the Slurry would be about right. Take the rest and wash it for later use. There is a good sticky here around washing yeast.

Hey that's a pretty good idea. I guess I could just rack the 2nd batch right in top. Would that mess with the clove/banana flavors to have a higher pitching rate like that?

bkl63 said:
While you could just Rack out of the primary and add the cooled Wort right back in. You would be over pitching. Using 1/4 of the Slurry would be about right. Take the rest and wash it for later use. There is a good sticky here around washing yeast.

Cool. Thanks for your help. I've read the sticky before and always wanted to try it but didn't have a reason to (at least in my mind...)

well after 6 hours, my Wit starter showed no signs of activity, so I ended up putting in the backup that AHS sent me. It was kicking up this morning. I know I didn't give the original a lot of time, but wanted to make sure I had yeast this morning, so pitched the second vial, since it spent a couple of days in 100+ temps as well.

AHS has probably the best customer service. Real friendly, helping and they get back to you really quickly by email. I should be getting my replacement regulator for m burner today too. I don't shop anywhere else.

PA49erFan21 said:
AHS has probably the best customer service. Real friendly, helping and they get back to you really quickly by email. I should be getting my replacement regulator for m burner today too. I don't shop anywhere else.

I agree. Their customer service is good and it's pretty rare that they allow your credit card number to get stolen. Seriously, it's only happened to me once in 6 orders. That's a pretty good rate.

Dinklefwat said:
I agree. Their customer service is good and it's pretty rare that they allow your credit card number to get stolen. Seriously, it's only happened to me once in 6 orders. That's a pretty good rate.

Well that sucks. How do you know they did it?

That can happen to anyone at anytime when using your cards on the internet. My sister just had 2000 spent on her card just this last week. It said she spent this money in Texas, while she is living across the pond in Germany. Hackers can get into secure networks these days or if your network is not secure its a piece of cake. Sucks to hear that about your card getting stolen though.

Austin Homebrew is awesome. Had a bad experience ordering kegging equipment from another site, it never got shipped. Called up AHS and they took care of me. On my door step the next day.

It did suck paying in state sales tax on that order though....

Back