AHS Honey Brown high OG?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kranak

Reaction score
Quick intro, this is my first post hailing from Cleburne Texas. This will be my third extract brew. The first two were a mini-mash from AHS this one was accidentally ordered as the normal extract. No big deal.

Ok now down to the question. After the wort cooled to about 78, I poured it into the primary fermenter and added the additional water to bring it up to the 5 1/4 gallons called for in the recipe. I will note that I used the spray part of my sink faucet that added a lot of air into the wort. I took a gravity reading and it came out at 1.08, took the reading three more times with different samples with the same reading. Then I took one of just water to test myself and the hydrometer. It came out right at one. With each reading I spun the hydrometer to try to work past the air bubbles. But there were still some visable and well as particles visible floating in the wort. I've included all the detail I would know to include. What could cause this, and will my one yeast vial do the job?

Recipe

8oz Crystal 40L malt
8oz crystal 60L malt
8oz 2-Row malt
4oz Chocolate malt
8oz honey malt

5 1/2 lb amber extract LME with 1 1/2 lb of honey included in the same pail.

1oz Mt. Hood added at 60 min.

1 teaspoon of irish moss added at last 15 min.

wort cooled in 10 to 12 minutes.

Target OG 1.052

yeast White Labs California Ale V 051

Nevermind, ha. After a little time for the new water to fully mix with the old water and the reading "magically" came out just right. Another day another lesson learned.

Adios.

Back