AHA/Surly wort giveaway - recipe ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewRaider

Reaction score
On Feb. 12, Surly Brewing in Minneapolis is hosting an AHA event and will be giving away 5 gallons of wort to ticket holders (only $5!). I bought a ticket, and the email included the following description of the wort:

"Surly Brewing Company will provide a slightly tart, oaked pale base wort that will be conducive to a variety of fermentation and aging processes. The malt bill primarily consists of Simpson's Golden Promise malt, accentuated by Weyermann Wheat Malt, Weyerman Acidulated Malt, and Grain Millers Flaked Wheat. The wort will be further acidified and oaked through mysterious processes designed by Surly's brewing team. Bittering hops will be minimal, with IBUs estimated at 10-15."

Thoughts on what kind of beer style would work with this wort? I am a pale ale/IPA fan, and am not sure I can make that style with IBUs of only 10-15. I suppose I could dry-hop the heck out of it and hope ... ? I don't care for sours or other Belgian styles, and it kind of seems like that kind of wort.

Thanks!

Hop tea might add some IBUs (although not many). Isomerized hop extract will work well if you can get hold of any, but you can also boil again and add hops. Or brew a hoppy wort to mix with this one. You might want to darken the wort as part of that process.

Isomerized hop extract is expensive from MoreBeer, and a quick search didn't find other US suppliers.

Great suggestion - thanks! I think I'll add some IsoHop to boost bitterness, ferment it with London III, and dry hop with a ton of Galaxy and El Dorado and see if a hazy, juicy monster results.

I don't see why you couldn't throw that back in a kettle and boil with whatever hops you want to bring up the ibu's. This is pretty cool and weird at the same time.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to brew with it too. Seems like an oaked berliner weisse at it's base.

Anybody thinking about adding fruit? Brett?

I'm going too and bought a ticket for wort. I just made a starter of wyeast's Saison Brett. I might dryhop with something, but I'm not sure what.

I'll be there as well. Thinking a smack pack of 3711 with a 1-2oz dry hop of something like Nelson Sauvin. This one has got me a bit confused!

It seems like the wort is similar to the Summer 2015 Rally Giveaway except it is oaked and a higher OG. I split that batch in half and pitched 3931 - Berliner Weiss in one batch and 3763 Roeselare Ale in the other. They both turned out amazing but I didn't save any of the 3931 to compare when i tapped the 3763 after a year in the carboy. You can really taste hints of it in their Gose in the Beer Hall. This year, thanks to a joint membership I am planning on getting 10 gallons and doing the same thing. It should be fun to try their variation of it as well. :mug:

I got mn, put my starter of 3031 in the fridge at my parent's house and after several beers, my dad accidentally bumped the flask with a beer bottle and it shattered. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I got a new flask.

I got more yeast. I'm going with Omega American Farmhouse. I also picked up some D-45 and I'm going to dry hop with French Aramis.

What did everyone end us using? Berliner Weiss yeast was not available so I went with Wyeast 1007 German ale. for one batch and the Roeselare for the second batch. I might sour the 1007 batch depending on how it tastes and how much room I have in kegs 1 L starters for each both bubbling away although the German Blew off big time after a day.

Back