Aging out cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masticon

Reaction score
I have a batch of Cider that I bottled 10 days ago. Popped the first bottle last night.

5 gallons Musselman Cider
5 Lbs Honey
Nottingham yeast

Started out at 1.070 and ended up at 1.002
It spent about 4 weeks in the primary and straight into bottles. (my secondary has mead in it).

It's currently has a very strong wine flavor. Will this mellow out with time? I was hoping for something with a bit more robust flavored but is there still time for it to change or am I pretty much stuck with what I've got?

I'm still on my first batch, but everything I've seen has suggested that dry cider needs six months even if it has no sugar added, and any sugar addition will only increase that need. EdWort suggests 9 months for his apfelwein which has 2 lbs. of sugar added. You've added about twice as much sugar to your batch.

So you probably just need to wait and it will get better.

I've only done a couple of ciders, but I've found they're not ready for at least a year. Cider is much more like wine than beer (or even mead), so it makes sense that it ages like wine.

Back